Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wood burners

(6 Posts)
misspussykat1 Thu 10-Dec-15 13:32:56

Hello everyone

I don't know if anybody can help and can't find anything on the internet but thought I'd try anyway.

I have recently moved to a new house which has a wood burner, I have never had one before and don't know anything about them basically I wanted to know are they safe to use with a 7 week old baby. I'm panicking about the smoke maybe breathing issues and even cot death. Please help if you knowxxxxx

specialsubject Thu 10-Dec-15 21:33:48

there shouldn't be more than a bit of smoke - chimney swept?

alternatively, just don't use it. Have you got time/energy to chop, stack and carry wood with a tiny baby?

before the baby is mobile you need a very solid guard if you do use it, which will need to be in place until the running about indoors stage is over. About 10 years.

hiddenhome2 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:13:58

We've had one for years and they're fine. No problems at all. Just make sure the chimney is swept every year.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 13-Dec-15 21:25:17

We have a log burner, its amazing - we don't get any smoke in the house. It all goes up the chimney. Now we don't have our chimney lined, we fitted the burner ourselves before the building regs 2010. My DP now fits these professionally on occasion and they have to be signed off by biulding control.

The building regs stipulate that the chimney should be lined with a steel liner and they can last anything from ten to 25 years.

In your shoes i would get your chimney examined by a qualified chimney sweep/hetas engineer and also the buner, to make sure it is drawing properly (taking the air from the room and not returning carbon monoxide) and that there are no leaks. There are a series of simple tests that can establish this along with the soundness of the chimney.

You should have a carbon monoxide detector fitted, we have one both down and upstairs but in all honesty so long as their is adequate ventilation and draw on the chimey.

With regards to ventilation, depending on the size of the burner you will need a permanently open vent in the room (they are quite big) to comply with building regulation. In an old, less airtight house it isn't so important but you obviously need enough air to fuel the fire and also prevent fumes coming back into the room.

When you moved into the house were there building reg certificates available for the burner - there should be a certificate of competence installed somewhere prominent by the fitter which will state that either independent building inspector has inspected the installation or the fitter was registered with hetas.

If this isn't the case - it might be worth getting building control to inspect it, your local council will advise you about this. It costs probably about £500 depending on your area.

If everything is as it should be, it is perfectly safe, but do make sure that you have it inspected.

Saz12 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:45:32

If you didn't get a building survey or full survey done when you bought the house (ie only had a valuation survey, or are renting) then definitely get it properly inspected.

HippyPottyMouth Sun 13-Dec-15 21:49:58

I stopped using ours, just in case. I'm not sure if I was being PFB. I miss it now we've moved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now