Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scab on a mole, doctors or not?

(10 Posts)
Madblondedog Thu 10-Dec-15 10:58:24

I was scratching my back and noticed something felt like a scab. DP had a look and he said its a mole which looks like I've scratched it and its now got a scab.

I hate to waste doctors time (and I hate going to the doctors) so I don't want to go unless its necessary.

WWYD?

SpottyTeacakes Thu 10-Dec-15 11:09:18

I would ring up and tell reception you'd like a non urgent mole check. They'll hook you in when they have space.

latrilllis Thu 10-Dec-15 11:10:22

If you scratched your back because the mole was itchy it would be worth showing it to a doctor just to be on the safe side.

SpottyTeacakes Thu 10-Dec-15 11:13:12

Book you in not hook you in blush

Madblondedog Thu 10-Dec-15 11:14:28

No it wasn't that the mole was itchy, my bra was irritating my back as I'd got it all tangled.

OK, eugh, I hate doctors but will try and suck it up

latrilllis Thu 10-Dec-15 11:16:18

It's probably fine then but with moles I'd err on the side of caution especially on your back where you can't monitor them so well.

WowOoo Thu 10-Dec-15 11:16:36

I'd take a picture of it to keep for reference also. That way, if you're told to keep an eye on it you have something to compare it with.

I was asked if mine had changed shape and size - it had but only because I had two photos with dates on to compare.

Get it checked as others suggest.

SpottyTeacakes Thu 10-Dec-15 11:17:43

I have a similar one. It's harmless but the dr said if it catches on my bra and annoys me they'll remove it for me. Always best to get it checked though.

Madblondedog Thu 10-Dec-15 11:31:55

I've been before about one on my arm as I'm a little paranoid having spend many years working in hot countries and they told me to keep an eye on my moles.

I have hundreds so its impossible to keep an eye on them all! I will ask DP to take a photo so I can keep an eye on it

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Thu 10-Dec-15 11:41:01

I have something similar on my back, it feels crusty but it has been the same for the past few years, I think it is a seborrhoeic keratosis, they look like moles but feel crusty. I googled some images of them and it looks exactly like one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now