Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any doctors to help me interpret blood test results?

(8 Posts)
AgeingArtemis Wed 09-Dec-15 16:28:41

Secretary said results were "normal" but I have a copy and some things are outside the normal range. Also last time I had a blood test about 6 months ago I was told everything was normal when actually my mcv was low, but I only found out when I went back recently complaining of anemia/low bp type symptoms.

Before the blood test I took 2/3 weeks a daily multivit multivitamins and about 3 otc (14mg) iron tablets a day, if that might have influenced my results. I don't have periods (mini pill)

Mcv this time has just edged back into the normal (81)
Haemoglobin normal 124
RBC count just outside normal 4.82 (3.8 to 4.8)

MCH a bit low 25 (27-32)
MCHC ditto, 314 (320-360)

B12 and folate normal, thyroid normal, ferretin 45 so normal as well.

I can't see a doctor to discuss it until Jan. I'm a med student, so tend to avoid GP's as they think we are all hypercondriacs (...maybe some truth in that!)
Would you say these results are "normal no action" and anaemia can be ruled out (so I can give blood, which I had to postpone, and stop self medicating with the iron pills)? I'm still getting symptoms but tbh I've had them for years I only went to docs as they got significantly worse but now it's nearly back to my baseline.

AgeingArtemis Wed 09-Dec-15 16:42:58

Sorry, should have said as well, at the time my symptoms were really bad my mucous membranes were also pale (which made me think anaemia and start on the iron supplements), by the time of the blood test 3 weeks later they were back to a normalish colour

ParsnipSoup Wed 09-Dec-15 16:47:49

Those results look fine to me. Obviously if you're worried you should still speak to your GP. I think when you get further through training you will worry less, often results are very out of the "normal" range but that's okay for the individual.

Clarella Wed 09-Dec-15 16:52:19

I thought ferritin was technically over 70 to be normal? I had bad symptoms at around 50 and started getting better when it got to 80-100. But maybe just me.

Husbanddoestheironing Wed 09-Dec-15 17:01:43

Reference ranges are specific to the method/lab the test is done in, so use the quoted ones. They sound ok to me, but obs check with your Dr if you are concerned. The ranges are based on around 95% of the average healthy population, so some people will be normal for them while outside the range. It's about looking at the whole picture. Maybe go find a good haematology /biochem textbook and learn about ref. ranges? Medical studentitis is very common wink But like I said do see your GP if you are concerned.

AgeingArtemis Wed 09-Dec-15 19:25:38

I'm not concerned about the blood results per se, I just wanted confirmation that I'm not anaemic. I'm now happily reassured that it's probably to do with my low bp rather than anything else. smile

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 10-Dec-15 11:49:37

Is your B12 above 500? Is your folate close to the top of the range? Is your TSH below 2 and FT4 and FT3 (if tested) in the top 25% of their reference ranges?

Your ferritin is way too low. The received wisdom is that it needs to be at least 70 and preferably mid-range to support all sorts of biochemical processes in the body. so I’d keep going with the iron tablets if I were you.

It’s difficult to say without the range, but it looks to me as if your Hb is a tad on the low side as well.

I think there’s probably something going on here. It might just require some detective work to find out exactly what it is.

Musicaltheatremum Sat 12-Dec-15 12:49:25

You need to continue iron for at least 3 months after the haemoglobin is back to normal. Ferritin is on the low side of normal and your other indices suggests your stores are low too. Do you know why you are anaemic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now