Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast Cancer Screening next Monday after finding a lump

(40 Posts)
Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 22:25:06

Hi Everybody,
I am 43 and on Thursday last week, I noticed a large hard lump on my left breast (i don't normally check my breasts, I noticed it by accident). Saw my GP on Friday and she could feel it too. She said it is moveable and like a half cherry tomato. I am not convinced that it is moveable but GP should know better and I hope that she is right . It was sore yesterday and I feel no pain today. GP also said I have lumpy breasts (had not idea before). I have now got an appointment next Monday at Winchester Maternity Hospital. I have to wait a week. It will be a very long week. Trying to stay calm but I am constantly checking my breast and feeling very emotional since I lost a friend to cancer not long ago. 4 days after the appointment we are flying to spend time with husband's family for Xmas for a week. My parents live in another country and I am not sure what to say to people at this stage and I don't want to ruin people s Xmas and the New Year. My son's birthday is very soon too. I have two boys at primary school. Does anybody what to expect exactly on the day of the appointment ? Do they give you the results on the same day? Any advice you can offer ? Thank you in advance.

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 07-Dec-15 22:29:15

Sorry to hear this OP. I don't have any experience but bumping this for you. There is also an ongoing thread for people with cancer or waiting for test results - the Tamoxigang or something.

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 22:33:15

Oh thank you. Will check that thread.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 07-Dec-15 22:44:34

ok first of all. 9/10 lumps are benign. so odds stacked very much in your favour.

You will very likely be offered both a mammogram and an ultrasound on the day and will be given the results at the time. The consultant will feel your breasts first. Expect to do lots of getting undressed.

this was my experience and that of many others on here.

my large hard lump turned out to be a cyst which they drained there and then too.

keep yourself as busy as you can. i gound camomile tea helpful.

flowers

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 22:46:42

Thank you for this advice. I forgot to add that GP said that she doesn't think it is a cyst. Hope it is another benign condition.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 07-Dec-15 22:55:52

my gp didn't think mine was a cyst either! but yes there are plenty of benign conditions.

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Dec-15 22:58:44

Another one who got the results at the appointment. I too am the owner of lumpy boobs! I still have the lump. It's not cancer and didn't need any treatment.
If you don't normally check and found it by accident in guessing it is more than likely just normal for you and you've never found it before.
Good idea to get it checked. I knew the odds were it wasn't bad news so told hardly anyone.
Good luck. Xx

Hastagwhatever Mon 07-Dec-15 23:04:06

Hi op
I am awaiting an appointment myself mine isn't until the 16th. I have a hard lump about the size of a marble but more oval in shape.

I'm not sure if it is movable or its the tissue moving over mine?. Gp has said the same to me about not thinking it's a cyst.

Good luck at your appointment.

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 23:06:42

That is a relief. Thank you for sharing your experience.

BackforGood Mon 07-Dec-15 23:10:37

I think it must vary around the country.
I had to wait for a consultant's appt about 10 days after all the tests, but I've read of others on here who somehow get results on the day.

However, as TheOriginal says, first take comfort from the statistics.
90% of lumps aren't cancerous
Then take out the benign.
Then take out the 'Found early, easily treatable'
and it leaves you with very,v ery good odds.

However, look for the Tamoxigang thread in General Health and the ladies there will be able to hold your hand and answer any question you can think of.

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 23:10:57

I keep checking to see if it is moveable and I am also not sure what is moving . The tissue or the lump? I played with it so much that I think I made it sore. Good luck with your appointment too.

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 23:12:27

Thank you Back for Good. What tests you needed to wait for 10 days?

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 23:12:47

I meant what test results you needed to wait ?

BackforGood Mon 07-Dec-15 23:21:27

I think it was the biopsy - stuff had to go to the lab to be tested.

I think they apologised about it being unusual to be that long, but it was something to do with the Consultant having a very full diary as well (think he was covering for a colleague as well as doing his own work). I took it as a good sign that they felt it wouldn't affect things if I wasn't whipped in to theatre the next day smile

When I got my diagnosis, they were very relaxed about the date for the op - would have been quite happy for me to go off on holiday or whatever first - I don't think it grows as quickly as some people seem to think.

Cratos Mon 07-Dec-15 23:25:46

Yes I was also told that I may have to wait for a biopsy and then the results if I need one. Hope your treatment is going very well Back for Good.

WiIdfire Mon 07-Dec-15 23:27:58

Depending on the set up, usually you will get results from a mammogram and/or ultrasound the same day, but if you have a biopsy you will need to go back the next week for the results as it takes a while to process. Not everyone needs a biopsy though, and usually the doctor will give you an indication of how worried they are.

thiskiwicanfly Mon 07-Dec-15 23:30:34

I went to my GP on Friday and at the time mentioned that I didn't know how to do a breast self examination (turned 40 this year) and so he agreed to show me. Nurse comes in, I get topless, we begin the teaching/exam... and found a couple of lumps and some tethering... Cue urgent referral to breast clinic. Anxiously awaiting my appointment. Unfortunately the Christmas closedown period that happens here in NZ will happen very soon so I may be in for a month or more waiting apparently. I look forward to hearing how your appointment goes. Fingers crossed for me too please. Scary stuff isn't it!

AliveAlone Mon 07-Dec-15 23:35:42

At our local hospital you see a consultant when you arrive at the breast clinic, then you have a mammogram followed by ultrasound and/or biopsy if necessary. The consultant sees you again before you leave to explain what they have found and what will happen next. Good luck OP.

BackforGood Mon 07-Dec-15 23:38:09

Yes, thanks Cratos - I'm doing great. Just one year left until they don't want to see me again smile

Cratos Tue 08-Dec-15 01:00:40

thiskiwicanfly my fingers are crossed for you. Has anybody been told that they have lumpy or dense breasts?

thiskiwicanfly Sat 12-Dec-15 00:10:01

So the good news is that my parents decided they wanted to know the answer and would pay for me to have a private mammogram and ultrasound so that I would have an answer before Christmas. Yesterday I went to have it done and all is well! So pleased!

Cratos, I hope you get the answers you would like smile

Cratos Sat 12-Dec-15 09:35:21

thiskiwicanfly

Fantastic news !!! Have a great Xmas.

Hope I will have some good news too.

Le1890 Sun 13-Dec-15 09:39:09

Hi Cratos

I hope you receive great results.

I too am going to the breast clinic although my appointment is not until the 23rd. The closer it is getting the more anxious I feel. Finding it difficult to look forward to Christmas at the moment.

My left boob is the one stressing me. It's bigger than my right and I feel it's growing. I have lumpy boobs so there are lots of lumps. GP said all felt ok but sending me because I'm worried about the size difference. Since the referral I feel another bit of a lump which is small and feels different to the other lumps. Now I'm freaking.

I hope you have good news tomorrow x

Cratos Sun 13-Dec-15 14:49:33

Le1890

Thank you for your good wishes. I am really struggling today. I am very nervous and I have been very impatient with kids since I woke up.
I hope that we will all get good results. Christmas adds more stress to this already difficult situation.

Le1890 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:06:43

I felt the same yesterday Cratos. I felt I didn't have the usual patience with the kids or the motivation to get on with it. My hubby was off so I was letting him get on with it all! Today I've met a friend with the kids so it's kept my mind off it a bit.

Keep us posted Tom. What time is your app?x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now