Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lack of sensation in one hand after accident - positive stories please?

(4 Posts)
freespiritsbadattitude Mon 07-Dec-15 18:37:25

A week ago I was bitten by a dog. I have several wounds in both forearms, but mostly on the right, where I have eight stitches. Two wounds were fairly deep but the doctor who treated me didn't seem to think there was any permanent damage.

While I'm healing fine, my ring and little finger and the outer edge of my right hand are numb and tingly.

I know it's only been a week but everything is healing up quite fast and the inflammation has gone. I'm worried that I won't get this sensation back.

Has anyone had anything similar? I know it's like asking how long a piece of string, but I am just looking for a bit of reassurance.

ethelb Mon 07-Dec-15 18:39:58

I macerated in finger tip on a hand blender. It felt very weird for a long time, numb, tingly and sore. I couldn't knit which was a shame. 18 months later it was back to normal.
So it got better but took time.
Sone research suggested this time frame was fairly normal.

Miri2007 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:43:14

I had very similar with a dog bite too. Took a few months for feeling to come back and tingling to go but even then things like gripping were difficult (I would think I had hold of something and then drop it!), that lasted for another couple of months and then all ok, so about 6 months in total. There will still be inflammation internally around the nerve, only a slight bit will make a difference.

Just make sure you have someone handy to cut your Christmas dinner up for you grin

freespiritsbadattitude Mon 07-Dec-15 18:46:52

Oh thanks for the fast replies, I have been worrying about this. I felt confident that the feeling would come back once the inflammation went down, but I never thought about internal inflammation.

So 6-18 months maybe. That's quite a long time. Lucky I'm not a concert pianist and yes, will get someone to cut up my dinner for a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now