Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cerelle for heavy menstrual bleeding?

(8 Posts)
BloodyBloods Mon 07-Dec-15 13:10:21

I have been prescribed Cerelle for heavy periods as I am not a suitable candidate for a mirena. I am struggling with low ferritin, but haemoglobin is ok. I am very tired all the time and I am taking iron, but not really getting the ferritin up at all.

Having googled I feel alarmed that lots of people seem to have had excessive bleeding on this pill.

I wondered if anyone had successfully taken this pill and reduced bleeding. I have been referred to a gynaecologist, who is expected to offer an ablation, but it will be a few months before the initial appointment comes through.

dementedpixie Mon 07-Dec-15 14:17:47

I didn't have heavy bleeding before but cerazette stopped my periods (cerelle has the same hormone as cerazette)

Wolpertinger Mon 07-Dec-15 14:31:53

I'm on this and love it.

I'll be honest, the first 3 months were not great. I had spotting or proper bleeding everyday. I decided I'd give it 3 months and see.

Somewhere around 2 and half months the bleeding stopped. Completely. Totally. Not even one spot.

And I've now been on it for six happy period free years. It's amazing grin

So if you are going to have to wait a few months for gynae, and then presumably longer waits for tests etc then it is totally worth going for. But give it a good trial - if I'd given up after a fortnight (which I really wanted to) I'd have never known how good it was.

spicycrackers Mon 07-Dec-15 14:48:10

I have heavy bleeding caused by fibroids and used the coil, Cerelle, microgynon and implant to try to reduce bleeding - none of them made a difference. Am going for a myomectomy in a few months.

BloodyBloods Mon 07-Dec-15 15:12:07

Thank you. I wasn't sure what to expect. Within 12 hours of taking the first pill I had started bleeding heavily and I was told this might continue for 6 months. I haven't had a period for months (perimenopausal) and as my ferritin was already low without having bled for ages, I am freaked out at the thought of this bleeding going on for 6 months and how awful I am going to feel if my ferritin goes any lower.

I don't know if I have fibroids, spicy. I had a transvaginal scan a couple of years ago which I assume was to look for fibroids and there weren't any, but I don't know if I would have developed any since then. I think the gynae department will scan me again but don't think will happen at my initial appointment.

I'm reassured to hear that this pill has stopped periods for some people. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

hollinhurst84 Tue 08-Dec-15 02:53:38

It stopped my periods for years then I just had random spotting on it

WheelParrot Tue 08-Dec-15 05:58:09

I've been on it for 18 months or so. My periods have changed to erratic since going onto it. Sometimes 2 weeks apart, sometimes 6 (which does wonders for my pregnancy panic), and they are heavier than they were before I went onto it. More painful, and longer. A typical period for me before would have been 1 heavy day, 1 medium, a couple of light days then done. Now it's 3 heavy days, a couple of medium, about 5 light days, then an increased flow for a day sometimes, then back to light again.

I stay on it because I can't take anything else, but it's not making me happy.

SomethingPhishy Tue 08-Dec-15 06:10:06

I started taking Cerelle 5 months ago after my periods became irregular and heavy. I had a light period at the end of the first packet which lasted about 6 days, since then no periods. The nurse warned me the first 3-6 months could be tricky but it would settle down. For me, it has worked well so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now