Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will a knee arthroscopy get me back & running?

(7 Posts)
ArgyMargy Sun 06-Dec-15 10:55:09

Posted this in Exercise but zero response - not a good sign!! Hopefully there'll be some wise words for me here smile

I'm 50, always been active and fit. Several years ago I took up running and I love it. But now I have torn a cartilage and been offered arthroscopy to remove the offending bits. Does anyone have any experience of this? The surgeon felt that physio was unlikely to resolve the problem but I can't help worrying about someone messing about with my knee. He did say the scan showed very little wear & tear other than the cartilage damage. What do you think?

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Sun 06-Dec-15 10:59:03

Ime physio does nothing for a cartilage injury. I had the surgery and it was great (skiing injury) and am back running with no problems at all.

ArgyMargy Sun 06-Dec-15 17:49:22

Thanks Bored - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Anyone else..?

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 06-Dec-15 18:45:03

Not me, but my boss. Had arthroscopy in similar circumstances and was assured beforehand that she would be able to run again, which is basically why she had it done. At her post-op check, she was told no high impact exercise ever again!

CharleyDavidson Sun 06-Dec-15 22:44:59

Again, not me, but a colleague. She had a knee arthroscopy to clear out loose cartilidge from her knee. She runs a lot now, and organises and completes park runs weekly.

Gingernut81 Tue 08-Dec-15 04:26:36

I've had torn cartilage removed from both knees (I'm somewhat clumsy grin) and both are fine now. The worst part was the long wait to get diagnosis and then the surgery!

ArgyMargy Tue 08-Dec-15 18:51:47

Ah thanks all - really helpful. I need to think about this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now