Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dd fainted - chipped tooth/ cut lip

(14 Posts)
Acatcalledfluffy Sun 06-Dec-15 08:01:51

Dd16 fainted in the bathroom and chipped her front tooth and cut her lip last night. Its not a huge chip, just a little chunk at the bottom. She's distraught as she is obsessive about her teeth and had braces on for nearly 2 years.

I am trying to reassure her that the dentist will be able to easily sort this out for her so any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Also should I be calling out the dentist (he charges £120 out of hours fee) or will it be OK to leave until tomorrow? I will find the money if its best to go today.

I've been awake all night worrying so please be kind.

Dafspunk Sun 06-Dec-15 08:10:45

If her chipped tooth is not causing her pain, it should be ok to go tomorrow. Please don't worry. My boyfriend has beautiful teeth and he has chipped one front one and literally broken the other front one almost in half. Both times the dentist did a fantastic job and you honestly cannot tell at all. He still gets regular compliments on them and noone believes us that he's had to get them fixed. You just have to be careful with a fixed chip initially re biting into things, etc. It needs a chance to really grip solid. She'll have beautiful teeth again honestly!

Dafspunk Sun 06-Dec-15 08:11:42

Sorry for no paragraphs - early morning ramble.

Acatcalledfluffy Sun 06-Dec-15 08:17:42

Thank you so much for that. I am crying with relief.

Hopefully they will be able to stick a little bit on and sort it out fairly easily. I'm telling her they can do marvellous things these days. Fingers crossed.

gingerdad Sun 06-Dec-15 08:19:58

My DD did this failing off a bike. Was fixed by the dentist and you can't tell the difference. It was also covered by our dental plan which was a bonus

ginmakesitallok Sun 06-Dec-15 08:21:06

Dd got hit in the mouth by a table tennis bat which broke off about 3/4 of her front tooth. Dentist did a fab job of fixing it. She'll be fine.

IMurderedStampyLongnose Sun 06-Dec-15 08:23:01

My DH is a dentist and just fixed the two front teeth of my little cousin,who had fallen and broken them both in half.They look amazing now,you won't be able to tell at all.As a PP said,when your DD first gets them done she will need to be careful biting for a while to let them really fix solid.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sun 06-Dec-15 08:28:31

Bless her. I did exactly that at the same age, hideous stomach cramps, fainted onto the bathroom sink and chopped one of my lower front teeth on half. IT left the nerve exposed and was flipping agony til it died! The dentist put some funny little cap thing on it and told me it would last a couple of years... It's still there and I'm 32 now. You'd never know it wasn't the real deal.

StompyFreckles Sun 06-Dec-15 08:36:27

This can be easily sorted - I chipped my tooth when I was 10 - it was repaired and has been absolutely fine for the following 25 years! My 12yo Dd managed to break both of her front teeth in half sad two years ago - both teeth were built up again and look as good as new. One of her teeth died due to the trauma and was root filled, but have been fine since that.

Acatcalledfluffy Sun 06-Dec-15 08:56:14

Many thanks to you all x

Acatcalledfluffy Sun 06-Dec-15 16:44:00

Sorry but I am still worrying. Probably coz I've been up all night (and I do worry about everything anyway) but just another question. Is it fairly easy to fix. Do they sort of just build up the bit that is missing? Its not a huge chunk so I'm hoping it will be straightforward to do. She is not in any pain and the tooth is not wobbly or anything so thats good I suppose.

Thank you and apologies for being a wuss.

sadie9 Mon 07-Dec-15 00:05:25

It is very easy to fix. They just cement on tooth coloured enamel stuff and carefully shape it. It will only take a short while and will look exactly like the old tooth.

StompyFreckles Mon 07-Dec-15 12:12:51

Exactly as Sadie says - really easy to build up and smooth over to look as good as new. When my Dd broke her tooth in half, it needed numbing first, but I don't think that's necessary with s small chip.

Acatcalledfluffy Mon 14-Dec-15 08:18:15

Thank you. Just an update. Dentist fixed the tooth a week ago and it looks great. I am absolutely paranoid about it breaking off however. If I had my way I'd have her on a soup diet for the rest of her life but dentist seems to think it will be fine. (I've got a terrible anxiety problem so I'm over reacting as usual).

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now