Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any tips I haven't thought of to ease my cough?

(19 Posts)
LittleFishBigOcean Sat 05-Dec-15 19:26:11

It started a couple of weeks ago when I had a cold, and is really lingering. I don't feel ill at all, but I'm coughing all the damn time. It's more tickly than chesty.

The only thing I've tried really is cough candy twists and they do ease it but I'd need three or four an hour and I can't deal with that much sugar (plus they start to make me feel a bit sick!)

Are there any old wives tales/herbal remedies that I can try?

And yes, if it doesn't improve this week I'll be going to the doctor's.

puckingfixies Sat 05-Dec-15 19:28:35

Vick's vapour rub on your feet - don't know why but it works everytime here.

LittleFishBigOcean Sat 05-Dec-15 19:31:00

I've read that a lot actually but never tried it. I'm that desperate I'll give anything a go.

Thanks.

Geepee71 Sat 12-Dec-15 18:16:10

I was going to suggest Vicks on feet overnight, with socks on, good luck!

StEdmundsPippins Sat 12-Dec-15 18:48:22

My doctor actually told me to do this.....just allow a couple of squares of good quality plain chocolate to melt in the mouth and soak the back of the throat. This alleviates the irritated membranes, and calms the coughing.

It was an emergency - I had no 'good quality plain chocolate - but by heck, the luscious salted caramel gorgeousness I had in the fridge worked just as well.

Try it! smile

bookbook Sat 12-Dec-15 18:54:40

Well, I can let you in on our family cough remedy. ( It was advice for a Great Grandad gassed in the 1st World War War)

I teaspoon sugar on spoon- drop 2-3 drops of malt vinegar into sugar Down in one.

It works..

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 12-Dec-15 18:58:09

Vicks is great stuff.

Chocolate has been shown to be as effective as any over the counter cough remedies.

anotherbloomingusername Sat 12-Dec-15 18:59:16

Don't do what I did and read internet nonsense about drinking pineapple juice! That will give you a nice case of the runs to go with your cough.

redannie118 Sat 12-Dec-15 19:02:03

Hot honey and lemon is brilliant and works every time. Hot lemon tea with a few drops of honey is great

LynnetteBird Sat 12-Dec-15 19:44:29

Try solpadeine max soluble tablets -- strong over the counter codeine should help the cough (not a doctor but an expert cougher)

Hufflepuffin Sat 12-Dec-15 19:48:16

A humidifier in my DC's room helps with their cough - of the heating's on just put a wet flannel on the radiator and keep the door shut

CoperCabana Sat 12-Dec-15 19:51:40

I get the most annoying cough ever, as I have dodgy lungs. A colleague told me to grate ginger into hot water and, oh my goodness, it was an instant cure!

tshirtsuntan Sat 12-Dec-15 19:56:32

Steam (boiling water in a bowl, towel over your head) honey and lemon or tea with a bit of honey in?

whatdoIget Sat 12-Dec-15 20:00:03

Codeine linctus works and is ok to use for tickle coughs. Obviously it can be addictive though. Actually I think there is now a substitute for it that isn't addictive smile

Chocqueen99 Sun 13-Dec-15 10:48:31

I've got a lingering cough. . I had a cold about 3/4 weeks ago & I'm still coughing a bit is this normal?

girlandboy Sun 13-Dec-15 10:54:35

Another dodgy damaged lungs person here. If I develop a cough it generally lasts between 8 and 12 weeks, so 3/4 weeks Chocqueen99 sounds about normal to me.
But I've never tried the vinegar on sugar remedy or the grated ginger one either, so I shall buy the necessary ingredients ready for my next cough.

Thanks grin

Chocqueen99 Sun 13-Dec-15 10:56:56

Bloody hell that is a long cough shock mine doesn't seem so bad now.

LondonStill83 Sun 13-Dec-15 11:01:17

I have a horrible cough and would so anything right about now!

What kind of chocolate- dark or milk?

FinallyHere Sun 13-Dec-15 11:50:29

Once I have a cough, i find i need to avoid dairy products for a while. They don't appeal anyway.

Then drink lots of fluids: grate some fresh ginger, add half a lemon and fill up with hot water, add a teaspoon of honey. I use a large glass coffee pot to mix up a lot and sip it all day. Before bed, a mug of honey and lemon with a slug of alcohol puts me out for the night. Lots of sleep. And the vick on the soles of your feet works for me, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now