Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I stop bad habits forming during teething

(7 Posts)
Jennywren21 Sat 05-Dec-15 14:19:54

My 6 month old has always been such a great baby, routine from very little and sleeping through early doors. Then a week ago she started teething, coinciding with introducing purées about 4 weeks ago. At first I thought it was tummy pain from the food and constipation but after a few days of good pooping action I realised it was teeth, along with the usual signs.

She SCREAMS with the pain, it's awful and I'm holding her to sleep. She has also stopped sleeping during the evening and frequently wakes during the night now so I'm feeding her and I get so exhausted I co sleep at times.

All these bad habits are forming that I worked so hard not to introduce (and it was working) but I can't let my baby be in pain and not comfort and hold her.

How can I stop bad habits forming during teething?

I have 2 year old twins so really don't want a baby that when fine needs holding all then time. Also any pain relief suggestions? I've tried granules, calpol and bonjela. Does not touch the sides.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 05-Dec-15 16:04:09

Are you sure the constipation hasn't returned? I thought my baby was teething with all these symptoms but was actually constipated. Wouldn't worry about bad habits at all, when she's feeling better and you're more rested the habits can be dealt with if you want to. I wouldn't assume that much discomfort is teething though, maybe take her to the gp?

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 05-Dec-15 16:11:58

Have you tried Anbesol? You might find it more effective than the Bonjela.

SapientPearwood Sat 05-Dec-15 20:50:32

Calpol is effective for teething pain. I wouldn't worry about cosleeping being a bad habit; if your baby needs you a bit more for a bit I'd just go with it.
If constipation is an issue then stewing some dried apricot and prune together with a bit of fruit juice then pureeing is very effective. Mix it with some yogurt

Jennywren21 Sat 05-Dec-15 22:55:57

I agree it could be tummy, perhaps I'm weaning her incorrectly? I have no clue what I'm doing really.

I just give her two meals a day. 11am and 4pm, she still BF every 3-4 hours. One meal is with fruit purée and natural yoghurt but the second I change everyday. It's those organic pouches but nothing with meat in yet. If she has not had a poo, the fruit meal will be prune based.

Does that scream out as being wrong? Could be some teething too. I hope I'm not causing this :0/. Just been sat with her screaming again!!

PamBagnallsGotACollage Sat 05-Dec-15 23:03:46

There's no such thing as bad habits or 'making a rod for your own back' with a baby. You give them what they need when they need it. When your baby's teething phase has based they will likely settle back into old patterns.

If not, you will find the energy to help your baby settle in cot, for example. Please don't think of cuddling and sleeping close to your baby when they need it as a bad habit.

A nurse once said to me, 'do you know any adults who need to be rocked to sleep?' When I was worried about my eldest relying on rocking to get to sleep. Everything is a phase with babies.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 06-Dec-15 18:52:25

Don't think your doing anything wrong at all!! Just suggesting that it might be constipation it something else if she's very upset and waking so much. If it was be I would get her checked at the doctors.

For us, ds2 was constipated for a few months and went on screaming alot, waking in the night yelping in pain, I completely put it down to teething and tried everything none of it worked really but did provide enough distraction for me to think it was working and therefore reinforce that it was teething!!! He was pooing lots everyday but little round poos and I just didn't put two and two together and work out it was constipation. All the prunes/apricots etc didn't cure it, but a few doses of laxative from the docs and he was much happier.

Maybe completely different with you, but just that you mentioned teething and constipation, after all, they don't talk its impossible to know what it is!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now