Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

So, psoriasis then

(5 Posts)
madwomanbackintheattic Fri 04-Dec-15 01:38:59

I have been ignoring it for about six months thinking it was (variously) sweat rash, reaction to soap/ washing powder, whatever, but finally went to the doc and she has referred me to dermatologist. It's going to be a month or two before I get seen, so what can I do over the counter in the meantime?

For info, I have two flat patches in the sweaty bit under my boobs (nice), splashes around my groin and waistline, patches on inner elbows and inner upper arms, a patch on each side of my rib cage, and new this week, am starting to get it on the insides of my wrists too. It's itchy, and burns if I scratch it. Grr.

Anything that's obvious to start with?

ICanSeeForMiles Fri 04-Dec-15 04:39:35

Did your GP not give you anything? I've had two flaky patches on my knees since February, and finally went to docs Tuesday. I've had no other history, and didn't have a clue what it was. Was prescribed a gel that's made a massive difference in just 3 days, applying twice a day. Will check what it is in the morning and get back to you.

mrselizabethdarcy Fri 04-Dec-15 05:58:47

I use talc/powder under my boobs and at the top of my legs. It helps stop the shiny sore skin from bothering me. The inside of my wrists get worse when I have washed the pots or used bLeach so I always wear gloves for household stuff.

I have other stuff I have to apply on a night but it can be VERY sticky so I often just use a moisturuser.

If I've picked/scratched I use good old sudacrem for a few days and this sorts it our.

Good luck with your dermatologist appointment. smile

madwomanbackintheattic Fri 04-Dec-15 06:19:15

Thanks ladies - no, she wanted me to see the dermatologist first (wasn't my usual gp as I couldn't get in to see him - I just happened to have a day off work and called on the off chance). She said most likely psoriasis but that the dermatologist might want to take some samples to check (ew). Is there anything I need to avoid in moisturising stuff? I wasn't sure if there were particular things that might make it worse - sudocrem sounds safe though, and I'm sure I have some... Do you just use regular talc mrsd? I tried talc under my boobs back in the summer but it still drove me mad. I assume it's the skin on skin thing that irritates so much.

Miles, you win the prize for putting off seeing the doc longer than me!

mrselizabethdarcy Fri 04-Dec-15 11:45:06

Yes - just normal talc but only a bit and I rub it in so that the shiny stuff 'dries'. I use any moisturiser but tend to avoid highly perfumed ones. Oh just remembered that when I have a bad flare I use aqueous cream in the bath and sometimes oilatum. You can get both on prescription or over the counter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now