Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vitamin D injections & supplements

(20 Posts)
nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 11:20:18

Hi,

Following on from my other thread, I have been reading old threads on vitamin D. I would be really interested in trying injections so wondering if anyone on here has had them or any experience of them?

Also, do you recommend injections or tablets?

If I went for injections does anyone know anywhere in London for them?

Thanks

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 11:33:33

Also, can I ask what supplements you take for vit d or recommend?

Yddraigoldragon Thu 03-Dec-15 11:42:26

I bought capsules from Amazon, 10000iu, got a years supply and am very happy with them. So much that I made my SAD suffering DM take them too and she is much better this Winter. Also take k2 supplement as they seem to go together. Made a massive difference to my health!

I have seen information suggesting that a daily dose is better than a longer interval as it mimics the natural sunlight vitamin boost, but any supplementation is better than nothing. I haven't seen the sun for weeks, so will keep on topping up with my pills.

I know nothing about injections but they would seem to be an expensive option when the pills were I think less than £20 for a year?

WoodHeaven Thu 03-Dec-15 11:45:13

I use patches rather than tablets, always careful that they are D3 (the only form that the body can use ) rather than 'just' vitamin D and that it includes vitamin K too.
Bought them from Amazon too but I'm sure you can find other suppliers!

misscph1973 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:48:21

I take 5000iu Vitamin D in the winter months (also from Amazon, good deal). It's NOT real sun, but it's better than no sun. You can take too much, it will not harm you, but it's a waste of money. You should take it in the morning, some people have trouble sleeping when taken at night.

I don't see the point in injections, unless you have a diagnosed, very bad deficiency.

TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper Thu 03-Dec-15 11:52:53

I am using 2000 IU vitamin D3 (kirkland/costco, from amazon) and my vitamin d levels are good at 100, (range is 25-170) despite living somewhere there isn't much sunlight. They don't seem to contain any vitamin K, however, so they may not be doing me any good after all. I probably need to do a bit more research.

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 12:12:16

TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper - this is also why I ask, as there is so much research saying different things, take K2 with it, don't. I get so confused.

Could anyone put there amazon links so I could have a look at the supplements they take please?

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 12:21:43

My doctor prescribed me these,

www.amazon.co.uk/Valupak-Vitamin-Tablets-Pack-60/dp/B0055C49NM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1449145175&sr=8-9&keywords=vitamin+d

which seem to be much lower than what others on here take

MigGril Thu 03-Dec-15 12:45:52

The current recommendation is 800iu a day for a healthy adult. But that is if you aren't already deficenet. I take 10,000iu a day. Note this value is currently under review there is some enviable to suggest they may have got the calculations wrong and be as much as 10x under estimating how much we need. Plus I was very deficenet. I also take K2 and magnesium to help with absobsusion.

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 12:54:03

MigGril - which do you take. I was tested as quite deficient. Thanks

Yddraigoldragon Thu 03-Dec-15 18:22:21

Mine are by Nu U on Amazon.

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 19:46:40

Yddraigoldragon - do you find these are gd? seems like a gd high strength

Yddraigoldragon Thu 03-Dec-15 20:06:38

They have made a massive difference to my mood so yes. Also my nails are growing and strong which they haven't for twenty odd years. Had my levels tested recently and they were over 100 so something is working.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 03-Dec-15 20:13:45

I take a K2 supplement, but I am vegan. I think it is fairly prevalent in an omni diet? That reminds me, must order some more d3....

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 20:14:24

That sounds so good, just ordered. Are you taking one a day?

nannybea Thu 03-Dec-15 20:18:07

& could I also just ask how long you took it before to notice a difference, thankyou & sorry for so many questions smile

Yddraigoldragon Thu 03-Dec-15 21:33:37

Hey it's fine, I have been known to be quite evangelical about vit d! I started taking them in May I think, and within a few weeks I felt really well. I noticed my nails were stronger about six weeks ago.
I recently read something about higher levels of D and K2 so have actually been taking 20000 iu for the last few weeks, with two super K pills. Very much a test though in that I am not seeing a difference as yet and would not recommend it for anyone else without doing their own research smile. I intend to increase to higher levels at some point.
My DM was persuaded to take them and I have noticed an immense difference in the SAD symptoms she usually has this time of year. She calls them her happy pills....
I hope they work for you!

PoshPenny Thu 03-Dec-15 22:55:45

I take the better you vitamin d spray, 2 pumps of the 3000 IU one a day. also k2 and magnesium. Has made a very big difference to me.

nannybea Fri 04-Dec-15 13:58:04

thanks Yddraigoldragon - so have you been taking k2 all the time since taking the vitamin d or just the last two weeks. things i read say yes & no to k2, but mainly yes. mine should be arriving tomorrow & was thinking to start high at 20,000 for a few days to kick start my vit d levels.

i hope they work too!

posh - have you always taken vit d with k2 & magnesium?

also any brands of k2 & magnesium you recommend, so many questions, really hoping this all helps!

thanks again smile - mnetters always has the best answers

Yddraigoldragon Wed 09-Dec-15 13:09:50

Apologies Nanny, I missed the question. I started the K2 when I upped the vit d in response to an article I read that linked the two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now