Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentist out there! I've got gum disease!

(13 Posts)
Buriedalive Wed 02-Dec-15 22:22:30

Hi, so I got gum disease last year. I went to the dentist, had a polish (is it?) and bought an electric toothbrush, I was in agony! Anyway after my visit to the dentist I started to see, feel results in days.
Well I've got it again now, I've had it for about a week. I'm still using my electric toothbrush (I change the head regularly) I'm using corsodyl toothpaste and mouth wash and it wont budge! I'm even brushing 3 times a day! I'm in constant pain, I'm taking iron tablets because my iron levels are low and I'm barley eating because its so painful. Anyway, I've got a dentist appointment but not for another week! If i go, is there anything they can actually do ? Is it worth me trying to get an earlier appointment or should I just wait.. Tia

Chocolateteabag Sat 05-Dec-15 02:37:28

Try salt water as a mouth rinse (don't swallow!) - I'm not a dentist but this is what dentist friend advised when I had a sore gum

Try a v soft tooth brush too and be careful not to over brush

Whitecoconut Sun 06-Dec-15 21:16:59

Try Colgate Peroxyl Mouthwash. It's very good for gum problems. I had sore gums and after my forth rinse, it was completely cured.

minifingerz Mon 07-Dec-15 11:56:41

I stopped my gums bleeding overnight with a combination of the following:
Corsodyl
Tea tree oil
An electric toothbrush
Interdental cleaners (the smallest ones)
This is what I did:
Poured out a teaspoon of tea tree oil and dipped the interdental stick in it before cleaning very carefully between each tooth. I washed and dried the stick (under a running tap and with kitchen towel) between each tooth and reapplied the tea tree oil to it. Then tooth brushing, then Corsodyl. The tea tree oil tastes hideous but doing this for a week made a huge difference to the health of my gums.

amarmai Tue 08-Dec-15 19:20:25

i clean my teeth with an electric toothbrush and baking soda. it's gently abrasive and cleans up placque build up near the gums. I added a waterpick to my routine as i eat a lot of nuts, seeds and legumes. The water pick dislodges any detritus that like to lodge at the gum line. My gums have recovered to a much healthier state as a result.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Tue 08-Dec-15 19:22:00

Regular visits to the hygienist.

AlisonWunderland Tue 08-Dec-15 19:41:50

I have a waterflosser- it's brill.

If I am away from home (and the flosser)for more than a couple of weeks, my gums will start to bleed. Couple of days back with the flosser and no more bleeding.
I now take it on holiday with me - the reservoir fits over body for travel.

I have this one
www.amazon.co.uk/Waterpik-WP250-Nano-Water-Flosser/dp/B005CMH44Q/ref=sr_1_10?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1449603581&sr=1-10

Costs about the same as a visit or two to hygenist.

Dont bother iwth battery ones. They are too weak and reservoir is too small

BelfastAnnie Wed 02-Nov-16 21:36:03

My dentist says she can barely recognise my mouth since I started using the Waterpik. Even if you brush vigorously, you still find stuff floating out when you use it. As you get older, your gums recede and you really need to keep them healthy or major trouble looms. The Waterpik is addictive and I hate travelling without it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Nov-16 21:38:45

Don't you floss OP?

trufflepiggy Wed 02-Nov-16 21:40:55

You need to floss everyday

Tootsiepops Wed 02-Nov-16 21:51:05

You need to see the hygienist ASAP. I have very sensitive gums and I need to have appts every three months to keep on top of it. Brushing is no good if there's a plaque build up.

It's nothing to do with your oral hygiene / technique / products - some people just have very sensitive gums.

It's pretty shit as I brush three times per day, floss, interdental sticks and mouthwash religiously and my gums are still prone to bleeding.

Husband has two lazy brushes morning and night and the dentist told him he'll have died of old age before he loses a tooth.

Also - not to freak you out, but I think there's a link between plaque in your mouth and heart disease shock

Backingvocals Thu 03-Nov-16 20:34:16

Do you have a thyroid condition OP? I do and it's a cause of my gum problems and my low iron which I see you also have. Just a thought.

I got my gums largely under control with interdental brushes. Flossing got me nowhere - just made it worse.

goddessofsmallthings Fri 04-Nov-16 18:08:49

Try these two products, Buried: www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SolrSearchLister?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=11051&stReq=1&searchTerm=gengigel#container The gel is cheaper on eBay but the mouthwash is more expensive.

Use the gel before you go to bed - a little goes a long way - and use the mouthwash every time you clean your teeth.

Hyaluronic acid (which doesn't sting) is nothing short of miraculous -- regular use can stop gums receding and, in some cases, cause them to regrow.

www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SolrSearchLister?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=11051&stReq=1&searchTerm=gengigel#container

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now