Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hair loss

(3 Posts)
EamonnHolmesisaPratt2 Wed 02-Dec-15 10:40:17

I noticed yesterday after washing my hair that I had lost more than is usual - quite a lot in fact. I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago and have now read that it is quite common to lose hair about 3 months after a GA. Has anyone any experience of this ? It feels a lot thinner too. Am very worried about it.

In addition I noticed that my pubic hair has got less as well. I came off HRT for 6 months and it practically disappeared . When I went back on it, it came back. I am on HRT again after my surgery but still noticing this. I know that lack of testosterone contributes to hair loss too.

( I have posted this on menopause but doesn' t get much traffic)

Grateful for any advice. Thanks

orangeplum Sat 12-Dec-15 05:00:30

Have you had your iron levels tested recently or did you take any medication prior to your hysterectomy. A combination of low iron, norithsterone and HRT led to terrible hair loss for me. Lots of iron and 18 months later a lot has come back although it's thinner and frizzier! Go and talk to your GP about it. Mine were helpful.

justanotherquestion Sat 12-Dec-15 10:02:47

Testosterone can actually contribute to male pattern baldness in females. I found that the contraceptive pill/HRT/progesterone is derived from testosterone and that contributed to hair loss in my case. I switched my progesterone and that helped. Provera is a good one. Norithisterone is supposed to be one of the worst. Lack of oestrogen seems to contribute to hair loss all over the body.

To help the hair loss on the head you could try minoxidil (available without prescription) as that has been proven to block testosterone and has been proven to help in women with male pattern baldness (loss mainly on the top and temples and crown. The body makes a testosterone substitute when there is insufficient oestrogen, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now