Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Changing from the Combined Pill to the Mini Pill?

(4 Posts)
Lizzy1989 Tue 01-Dec-15 14:13:11

Hi,

I have been on the combined pill (Gedereal) for a couple of years now. My doctor is now changing me to the mini pill (Cerelle). The combined pill works brilliant for me however after i mention i had one migraine (she asked this in my review) she is now swapping me to the mini pill. Im very reluctant as the combined works so well. It made me so regular and made the whole thing manageable but now she has explained that the mini pill will make me irregular. She explained some months you might have one period and some months you might have two and some months you may not have one. Other months you will be spotting inbetween. This sounds awful and confusing to me.

Has anyone had any experience of these pills? I really dont want to change but my gp will not prescribe me the combined anymore.

Any help would be great.

Whatevva Tue 01-Dec-15 14:23:19

Yes I had this for the same reason. I had been on coc for many years without problems and only had one year to go. If only I had not mentioned the migraines hmm

I found cerazette made my boobs swell up like footballs, totally constipated and I spotted frequently, despite having only tiny 3 day periods on coc. I also got swollen privates blush, but I think that may because it was mixed up with menopausal problems.

I changed to a normal pop which was much better for the spotting, but not for the other problems so I threw in the towel and use condoms. I think my chances of getting pregnant are zilch now, though.

Lizzy1989 Tue 01-Dec-15 14:42:25

Sounds awful what you went through on the pop. I wish i hadnt opened my mouth about the migraines. I only had one in all of that time so i didnt think it would be that much of a big deal.

Did all the symptoms subside once you came off pop altogether?

I only really went onto the pill to regulate my periods but now she is moving me to pop im concerned im going to go back to square one with my periods all over the place again.

Whatevva Tue 01-Dec-15 15:37:52

It wasn't that terrible, but I was not in the mood to deal with it at the time because I was not happy about the decision. I too wish I had kept my mouth shut, but I did not know about this new 'scare'. I only have an aura with no headache and only very occasionally. Some people suffer badly with migraines and would probably avoid the pill any way. The additional risk of stroke is for migraine with aura and that seems to be a blanket ban for people who only ever have one aura in their life, to those who are totally incapacitated for days.

I would be concerned if you had a new migraine whilst on the pill though.

I was actually better in many ways off the pill, but have an ongoing problem with vaginal symptoms, which is a meno problem and maybe the cause of the problem with the privates. I am taking hrt for this.

I have not had a migraine in the 3 years, but that is normal for me.

I did take a normal pop whilst bf years ago. It was fine. My period came as normal every 28 -30 days but lasted 8 days (5 on coc). They used to last about 10 days before I took the pill, but I have not had many natural cycles since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now