Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

potentially silly q about coeliac

(8 Posts)
Clarella Mon 30-Nov-15 22:03:35

GP would like to re test for coeliacs, but I think I've been tested before and it was negative.

I know you can develop at any age but wouldn't test at any time show the antibodies?

Ie could a previously neg blood test become positive at later date?

He has said there can be gluten issues with a negative test so we might look into it further down the line.

(My ferritin has dropped from 130 which id got it up to with iron tablets, down to 80 in 6 months, which he isn't too concerned about, but gets my worry it could carry on dropping. So to check in 2 months with coeliac test. Though it's since occurred to me I didn't have too much trouble getting the iron up to 130 from 50. So I'm not sure it could be an absorption issue iykwim)

TheGreenNinja Mon 30-Nov-15 22:09:39

The blood test isn't 100% reliable, I don't think. You can test negative and still have it, it can only confirmed by a biopsy I think. (Just had one and waiting on results!)
So it won't do any harm to have the test done again, but if it's negative it may still be inconclusive.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:34:32

The antibodies are only present if you're eating gluten AND Coeliac Disease has been 'triggered', which usually means you're having the symptoms of CD.

My CD was 'triggered' when I was in my late 40s. Prior to that time I would have tested negative for antibodies because my system wasn't 'fighting' the gluten in my system. A genetic test (my DS2 had one when I was diagnosed) will detect the allele on the gene that shows that you might develop CD regardless of whether or not active CD has been triggered.

Blood tests are usually pretty reliable, although some people with CD test negative. Biopsy is much more definitive.

Clarella Tue 01-Dec-15 12:55:48

Ok thanks, so basically a prior blood test might have been negative but antibodies could have been triggered and in the future be positive.

So it's not futile to test again.

I know you can have a gluten issue without a positive blood test, and GP explained this too.

Chopchopbusybusy Tue 01-Dec-15 13:10:00

DH was diagnosed in his 50s. The consultant told us to have our DDs tested which we did and they were negative. However, we were told that didn't necessarily mean they wouldn't develop it in the future.

AcrossthePond55 Tue 01-Dec-15 14:09:02

Clarella Yes, that's exactly right. And testing again is the proper thing to do. Especially if there's CD in your family. And most especially if there's CD in a first degree relative (sibling, parent). I'm adopted so that was an 'unknown' for me. If you aren't sure, think (or ask) if your family has a history of 'tummy trouble', IBS, anaemia, or lymphoma. All are signs of untreated CD.

And the GP is right. Where I am (US) they refer to that as 'Non-Specific Gluten Intolerance'. They can't figure out why you can't eat gluten and there's usually no intestinal damage, but you still get the awful symptoms.

Clarella Tue 01-Dec-15 21:24:00

Ok thanks, none that I know if though mum comments she feels bloated if eats too much bread etc.

We have hypothyroidism and pernicious anaemia in the family; I'm hypo. So it's possible.

AcrossthePond55 Wed 02-Dec-15 14:44:21

I'd say it's possible. And apparently it does skip around in families. My DS2 has an allele that makes him unlikely to develop CD but he can pass it on to his children/descendants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now