Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Repetitive strain caused by typing?

(7 Posts)
Songlark Mon 30-Nov-15 13:34:03

I do a lot of typing on a lap top and an IPad. For the past 3 months or so I've had really bad forearm pain. At first it was just my right arm, now it's both arms. I went to the doctor when it was just in the right arm. At the time it had never occurred to me it might be rep strain. He didn't have a clue what it was. Does anyone have experience of this. Will I have to stop typing? Or could it be something else? I'm just so sick of this pain.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 30-Nov-15 13:38:07

I had similar, my fingers were going numb too. A trip to an osteopath sorted me out. That and making some adjustments to the way I sit at my computer.

specialsubject Mon 30-Nov-15 17:20:00

first, stop typing on the ipad. Ergonomic disaster.

second, buy a keyboard and a mouse for the laptop and set up a proper workstation. Plenty of guidelines available.

you need to catch this now as otherwise you WILL have to stop typing.

Songlark Mon 30-Nov-15 17:48:42

specialsubject do you think it's definitely the iPad then?

specialsubject Mon 30-Nov-15 18:01:35

most likely - if you look at the correct position for typing, the scrunched up and zero-feedback ipad is about as far from it as you can get. People also tend to bash hard on touch screens. They are fiddly to use and because the ipad can be slow, the frustration makes you tense up.

I had RSI many years ago, changed jobs to something different and can now tap away happily on a laptop, as I am doing now. It's got a good wrist-rest, although the right position is a very personal thing.

Songlark Mon 30-Nov-15 20:55:12

Thank you specialsubject that's given me plenty to think about.

specialsubject Mon 30-Nov-15 20:59:48

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now