Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pneumonia?

(8 Posts)
icelollycraving Mon 30-Nov-15 11:54:20

I have been unwell for about a week. Cough,aching etc but coughing blood now. I had a telephone consultation & prescribed antibiotics,ventolin & spacer. I had an X-ray this morning in case of pneumonia. Once it was done they said I could phone my GP on Friday for the result. I saw it on the light board thing & my lung had a kind of cloud in it of about 1/3. Does that sound like pneumonia? Ds had pneumonia when he was teeny,I thought I was a bit more clued up.

Clarella Mon 30-Nov-15 13:53:13

I'm not sure, I'm sorry, but have they given antibiotics?

Pneumonia as far as I could tell when I had a bad chest infection is essentially a lower bacterial chest infection. This would be 'walking pneumonia'. They can usually tell by listening to your chest I believe? What have they said about the blood?

randomuser12 Mon 30-Nov-15 15:56:10

It may well be pneumonia from your description, but a doctor needs to have a look at the X-Ray to be sure and see whether any further investigations have been done.

When did you start the antibiotics? When did you last see a doctor? At a guess from what you have said this is on the borderline of whether it needs outpatient or inpatient treatment. If anything has worsened since you saw the doctor - ie the coughing blood is new or more SoB or feel more unwell- I would go to A&E tonight. If you have had 48-72hrs of antibiotics I would go to A&E.

Do you mind me asking your age? DO you normally have asthma/COPD? Were any bloods taken?

icelollycraving Mon 30-Nov-15 16:17:38

Ok,I'm 42. No asthma,started antibiotics today. Haven't actually seen a dr,all done on the phone (hate this system). No bloods taken. I phoned the GP as I was a bit worried,explained the X Ray to the receptionist who promised a call back. It came from her.the GP is off now & they aren't taking calls tomorrow because of the strike. hmm

Clarella Mon 30-Nov-15 16:34:42

From the little I know at least it's good you've started antibiotics. I guess if your condition gets a lot worse you should phone 111 again, though clearly tomorrow will be tough.

Clarella Mon 30-Nov-15 16:35:05

Or as said above a and e. Hope you feel better soon thanks

icelollycraving Mon 30-Nov-15 16:39:30

Thank you!

randomuser12 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:08:50

If you're feeling unwell generally (more than you expect to with a chest infection) I would go to A&E. Coughing up blood, and likely X-Ray changes need a medical assessment.

Actually on 2nd thoughts I would either go to A&E or see GP OOH tonight. It may well be appropriate to stay at home with antibiotics but you need a medical assessment to determine this now that we suspect X-Ray changes.

Severity of pneumonia is normally scored using CURB 65. 1 point for confusion, 1 point for blood urea 1 point for Resp Rate 1 point for blood pressure 1 point for Age>65.

Score of 0 - treat at home. Score of 1 - clinician decides. Score of 2 or above treat in hospital. Until a professional sees you we can't know what your U, R or B is.

I would see a doctor (either GP OOH or A&E) tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now