Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is a doctor even worth it?

(4 Posts)
Frizzyliz Sun 29-Nov-15 18:52:18

Have been very run down the past few weeks/months.
Glands in my neck up and down and sore, mild tonsillitis, on and off mild cough for a few weeks, and now heartburn for a week.
I've never had heartburn before in my life!!
On Friday night it was so bad after a meal that I almost cried and I had trouble breathing.
It seems to come and go at random times.
I don't like to go to the doc unless I need to but I think my immune system is down because of external issues and stresses.
Dh lost his job and out of work, I'm miserable in my job. Lack of time with dd, running around with chores, trying to keep the house running, worrying about life and future.
Feel it's all on top of me and my body has just shut down for a while.

Is it worth getting a doc app? Would they even be able to help?
Any time I take off work for docs etc I have to make up hours and no work gets covered so going means more stress so don't want to waste my time.
My parents are worried and really want me to go but I don't know if a doc will help.

holeinmyheart Mon 30-Nov-15 08:17:04

Some of my DCs are Doctors and surely after all the training and exams that they have taken they can help you feel a lot better than your relatives?

They did five years in Med school and Two years in a Hospital and then to become a GP they need to complete another three years training. The exams cost upward of £500 which they have to pay them selves etc,etc

You are in a bad way and you need help and lots of TLC. Doctors will understand.

Just tell them everything and be honest. Diagnosing is not an exact science, especially if the patient only tells them half of what's wrong.

I am sure someone can help you feel better, and I hope your DH gets a job soon.

Clarella Mon 30-Nov-15 13:57:48

It might be worth it, at the same time viruses can just play merry havoc and there's not much that can be done.

I have noticed that I'm not as badly struck down with things as I was when my ferritin and vit d were on the low side, as well as my thyroid. So it might be worth asking if there's anything else going on eg mild anaemia. Having said that stress can do this to you too.

You do need to be careful and try and recuperate properly - perhaps take 2 weeks off work if you work? - as from bitter experience things can get a lot worse.

Clarella Mon 30-Nov-15 13:59:58

Sorry I noticed you do work - I think getting a decent sick note could be a good thing. I had an appalling chest infection a couple of years ago and took a good 2 weeks off; it was no where near enough to be honest though. GP could say chest infection / virus though you'd both know it was also stress. And extend it if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now