Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Radiotherapy and tiredness

(10 Posts)
Themodernuriahheep Sun 29-Nov-15 00:50:09

i haven't posted in life limiting illness because it isn't.

I'm starting radio next week for 5+ weeks to reduce a tumour that's wrapped itself round an artery. Consultant says I can prob work through the treatment but I may get very tired and need to get signed off.

I've deliberately chosen a quiet time at work and am feeling smug that nearly all my Christmas presents are bought and wrapped. grin

But how tired? Obv dependent on person, but I only know people who've had it post chemo, when they've already had a battering.

Views?

gingeroots Sun 29-Nov-15 09:35:00

Maybe ask over here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2428777--Tamoxigang-53-Roll-up-roll-up-Anyone-with-any-cancer-or-test-waiting-welcome?pg=30

lots of experience from people who have had and are currently undergoing radiotherapy .

flowers and brew for you uriah .

Themodernuriahheep Sun 29-Nov-15 11:37:45

Thanks. God idea. And thanks.

Toooldtobearsed Sun 29-Nov-15 11:42:55

I had rads after chemo. I did 5 days per week for 6 weeks.
I did find it tiring, sorry...... but having said that, I was doing a 2 hour round drive every day, so I blamed that. Looking back, I am not so sure. I worked all through chemo, took minimal time off during surgeries, but actually put my notice in and left during radiotherapy.

Everyone is different though. I think I was just battered from chemo. Perhaps without that, it might have been easier.

Good luck!

Themodernuriahheep Sun 29-Nov-15 12:00:01

Thanks. I have quite a long journey, well, cross London. But am hoping that because I haven't gone through chemo will be fine. And yes, the 5 days a week syndrome.

Toooldtobearsed Sun 29-Nov-15 12:59:00

URIAH, it is so doable, honestly smile

Just remember why you are doing it and imagine yourself in 6 months time - hopefully with it all behind you flowers

CMOTDibbler Sun 29-Nov-15 13:06:41

I think most people find it tiring (at least in the initial weeks) because of the schlepping to the hospital everyday, waiting around, being delayed if the machine is playing up and so on, rather than the actual treatment. If your treatment is in a bone marrow producing area like the pelvis, then this will have an effect later.

Listen to your body, and chat to the radiographers about how you feel. Theres no shame in getting signed off for a bit if you need it

LavenderRain Sun 29-Nov-15 13:06:51

Hi OP sorry to hear you are going through this,
My dad had 7 weeks of radiotherapy 18 months or so ago. He was 70 at the time,
The tiredness didn't really kick in until about week 3, then it was quite bad, he took himself to bed for a few hours during the day which isn't like him at all. He said it was a whole body fatigue type feeling, not just sleepy iykwim,

But travelling to and from the hospital every day for 7 weeks has got to be tiring whatever your age I would imagine,
You don't say your age, but I think that has to be a factor, I think you will just have to see how it goes,
Good luck thanks

Themodernuriahheep Mon 30-Nov-15 22:59:31

Thank you to all respondents. Where I work it's a fraction quieter over Christmas, one reason for choosing the time. I'll just cross my fingers and hope.

Themodernuriahheep Mon 30-Nov-15 23:01:31

Oh, and over 50. No spring chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now