Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calling ear experts

(4 Posts)
Thecontinualgardener Sat 28-Nov-15 23:30:16

Hi all, I have a really annoying ear problem and looking for any words of wisdom. It's a kind of rustling noise which started in 1 ear and appears to have spread to both ears. it really does sound like rustling sweet papers. It is intermittent and completely independent of anything I'm doing. I can be lying still and it starts, equally I can be busy talking and it happens. It's rather weird and I haven't experienced anything like it before. No pain or other sensation and I otherwise feel fine. A nurse colleague had a look in my ear and she says nothing to see. Going to have to make appointment with GP (haven't been for about a decade), but wondered if anybody had any ideas. If I didn't know better I'd think there was something alive in there. Slowly going crazy here :-(

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Sun 29-Nov-15 22:30:52

Don't know, but bumping this for you, as a fellow earie.

gingeroots Mon 30-Nov-15 12:55:24

Sounds like tinnitus - I have this and I hate it sad

www.nhs.uk/conditions/tinnitus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thecontinualgardener Mon 30-Nov-15 18:30:22

Thanks for comments and the bump. cursing the little men in my ears rustling sweet papers! I'm just a bit confused by the sudden and random onset of it. Going to irrigate with olive oil just to be sure no wax (or anything alive!?!) and if it's ongoing tomorrow will make an appointment with the GP. I did have a Google and apparently there is a condition caused by twitching of a muscle next to the eustation tube which can cause noise similar to what I'm experiencing. One treatment is injecting said muscle with Botox!?! Don't ask me how they get to it - maybe up the nose? l

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now