Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone else develop zero tolerance to alcohol as they got older?

(7 Posts)
megletthesecond Sat 28-Nov-15 19:59:09

I was never a big drinker apart from Euro 96 when it all got a bit messy for a month and now I'm in my 40's I can't even have a mouthful with dinner without feeling sick for hours. It's like I'm poisoned by it confused.

Health wise I'm fine, go to the gym, eat a mainly veggie diet, blood is always fine... etc. Always exhausted though because I'm a LP.

I'm not surprised my tolerance has gone down as I've got older, I didn't realise it would vanish completely.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Nov-15 20:10:44

I am rubbish at drinking now. I used to be very good at it indeed.

Since having DC1 who is now 16 I can take it or leave it. Sometimes wine gives me a big red beacon face and neck. I mainly stick to spirits and coke now but I have to be in the mood and hate the hungover feeling.

megletthesecond Sat 28-Nov-15 20:23:18

A couple of drinks (or more) was always fun wasn't it <<wistful sigh>>.

alicemalice Sat 28-Nov-15 20:24:21

Yes me. I can't tolerate it at all.

If I drink midweek, I'm worn out on the weekend.

passmethewineplease Sat 28-Nov-15 20:25:21

I'm in my twenties and I can't stomach it any more, it makes me go all red and feel really hot and bothered. Not a nice feeling at all...never had it when I was younger and got wasted way more often

velmadinkly Sat 28-Nov-15 21:50:40

Me. I've felt as though I've been poisoned the next day for about the last 2 years, I would wake up the next day feeling as though I had the worse hangover ever and all I would have had is a medium glass of wine or a bottle of beer. I finally threw in the towel on 13th March this year and I've been teetotal since. The joy of knowing I'm not going to wake up wishing I was dead is great and the joy of being able to drive on a night out so that I can leave when I want, far outweighs my odd pangs of wishing 7 could still enjoy an alcoholic drink.

ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 28-Nov-15 22:43:12

Yes my mother is exactly the same. It really is like ahe isnpoisoned by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now