Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone explain why infection makes you feel so diabolically awful?

(4 Posts)
Collymollypuff Sat 28-Nov-15 16:41:42

I'm being investigated (blood tests etc done, awaiting results) but it's suspected diverticulitis. It's about 2 weeks since I had acute pain; the GP has explained that in future I must go straight onto antibiotics the minute the painful cramps begin, but I didn't know that at the time, and she didn't offer ABs now that the pain has gone.

My question is: why do I still feel so abominable? Really tired, woozy, like flu. Can hardly stand for any length of time. no chance of Xmas shopping Is it still the infection in my body? I know that UTIs in the elderly can show up as mental confusion - so is my body being generally undermined by a lingering infection?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 28-Nov-15 17:57:26

Flu like symptoms are the symptoms of your body fighting an infection. Inflammatory cytokines causing various effects on the body to kill the invaders.

Collymollypuff Sat 28-Nov-15 19:00:32

Thanks, Lonecat. Is there a typical period for this to last without any medication, please? The GP seemed to be saying I should just sleep it out.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 28-Nov-15 23:41:40

Depends on the type of infection, how robust your immune system is and a number of other factors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now