Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Muscular Skeletal

(6 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Fri 27-Nov-15 21:54:08

Anyone know anything about this condition ?

My auntie, age 75, suffers with it and all she is offered by the GP are painkillers. Is there anything else out there?

Tia

GnarlyOldGoatDude Sat 28-Nov-15 05:58:38

It's not a disease, I'm afraid, just a descriptive term? It simply means "relating to bones or muscles". If she has a pain and the GP has told her its "musculoskeletal", it just means the GP thinks its origin is of the bones or muscles.

ihatethecold Sat 28-Nov-15 06:12:39

Could your Gran find a Pilates teacher for a few sessions?
The right teacher can do amazing things with bodies in pain.
I wish it was available on the NHS.
My 70 year old MIL has been transformed by it.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 28-Nov-15 06:44:21

I think your auntie needs someone to pop back to the Dr with her and find out what exactly is wrong

As a PP has pointed out, muscular skeletal is just a descriptor of what is causing the pain

At her age I would expect arthritis or similar, and there isn't really much to be done for that apart from pain relief but it would be best to take her back and ask, so you know what's going on

PeekABooPinky101 Sat 28-Nov-15 07:06:01

Pps are right - it is muscles/bones and just a very general description.
You may find a Physio referral is a good option for her. They should have gp notes so have a better idea of the area(s) affected and help with exercises and treatments.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 01-Dec-15 21:12:54

Thank you all,so much. I don't think she realises it's not the root of the problem IYSWIM

Unfortunately she is agoraphobic so getting her to the doctors is extremely difficult. There is no,way sheepfold go for regular appointments to a Physio etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now