Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone suffering possible side-effects of flu jab?

(12 Posts)
MsBrigit Fri 27-Nov-15 12:22:05

Had it yesterday morning – shoulder, back, throat all got really sore during the night. Coincidence? I’ve had it in previous years with no problems, but this time my arm bled quite heavily (as in blood ran down my arm and dripped on the floor and I had to sit for 5 mins waiting for it stop) and sitting here now my back is killing me …. Anyone else?

PetraStrorm Fri 27-Nov-15 12:30:15

DD had flu vaccine at school early last week. It was a nasal spray. 2 days later she came down with what was pretty much full-blown flu and has missed a week of school.

She's had flu vaccine in previous years and been fine - maybe this year's strain was just one that you and her are extra sensitive to?

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Fri 27-Nov-15 12:33:31

I had it about 3 weeks ago and no side effects what so ever sorry.
Same with ds aged 4 who had the nasal spray and dd's aged 11 and 12. We appear to be symptom free ?

DeirdreDoo Fri 27-Nov-15 12:38:01

I think with the injection it's a dead vaccine, so in theory you shouldn't be able to get the illness from it - but I suppose your immune system might react in some way?

My father had the flu vaccine a few weeks ago and was quite ill with a fever and bad cold directly after it, though, so I don't know.

I've declined the one for my toddler as I am worried it will make him ill.

RingDownRingUp Fri 27-Nov-15 12:40:04

Lots of children at my dc's school were sick for 2/3 days after having the nasal spray.

IguanaTail Fri 27-Nov-15 12:40:42

I had a really raging headache for 2 days. That was it.

NanTheWiser Fri 27-Nov-15 16:22:38

I felt under the weather for a few days afterwards this year. Very sniffly the following day, sore arm with large red patch at puncture site that lasted for several weeks. This is my 3rd year of having it, and didn't have such bad after effects before. I think it's the immune system reacting!

expatinscotland Fri 27-Nov-15 16:25:54

I had it whilst pregnant. Made me dog rough for days.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 27-Nov-15 16:31:09

PP's are right - there is not a live virus in the flu vaccine; it is impossible to get 'flu from the vaccine. However it is normal to feel a bit unwell, feverish & yucky in the days following administration - this is your immune system reacting to the vaccine and shows that it is doing what it is meant to.
I have sometimes had diarrhoea after mine

PitBlackwell Fri 27-Nov-15 16:32:21

I had it, no side effects at all. Hope you feel better soon.

Chocqueen99 Sat 28-Nov-15 13:32:20

It doesn't work for 2 weeks so if u catch anything in that time it can't be helped. I had it Tuesday my arm has hurt a bit but that's about it, I already had a cold when I had it anyway & that is still lingering lol but nothing to do with flu jab.

bigbluebus Sat 28-Nov-15 20:16:51

Absolutely no side effects at all here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now