Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gastroscopy without sedation

(60 Posts)
ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 11:19:22

I'm due to have one and not allowed sedation due to being pregnant.
All I've read is horror stories and I'm so nervous!
Someone please say it's not that bad without sedation?!

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Fri 27-Nov-15 11:30:49

I had gastroscopy without sedation, just the throat spray and looking back, it really was not that bad. Once the scope went in, it was literally about 2 minutes to complete the test. I did struggle a bit to swallow the tube but the nurse was brilliant, talking me through when to swallow and take deep breaths. I did gag a bit when it was going down but then it was in as far as it needed to be. I just tried to relax and deep breathe as best I could and just figured that the more relaxed I was, the quicker they could get on with it and it be over! I did not feel the biopsies, just a bit wriggling about in my stomach which was strange but not painful in any way, and then they removed the tube and it was over!.

So I would not say it is a pleasant experience but it really does not last long at all. Just try to keep calm and be as relaxed as you can be and it will be over very soon.

Good luck

toptomatoes Fri 27-Nov-15 12:45:08

I had one without sedation earlier this year and it was ok. Swallowing the tube was a little tricky but ok and I just kept breathing deeply. The nurse was lovely. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't as bad as I expected and it was quick. The doctor talked throughout to say what he was doing. Felt fine afterwards.

OlafLovesAnna Fri 27-Nov-15 12:56:44

I quite often the nurse in this scenario; I would say yes it's not the most fun you can have but it is over within minutes.

The Dr will usually talk through what he's doing and the nurse will hold your hand, remind you to take nice deep breaths and be very kind.

Hang on to the fact it's over in less than 5 mins and you can be out of hospital pdq if you haven't been sedated.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 14:00:59

Thank you for the replies I feel a bit more at ease about it. Read so many horrible stories!

Wolpertinger Fri 27-Nov-15 18:13:47

It's not that bad. I had mine with just the throat spray and while it wasn't fun and I was really really glad when it was over, if I had to have another I wouldn't even bother with the throat spray. The nurses are extremely kind and supportive all the way through.

If you ask on here, everyone will say have sedation. When I was in the waiting room, the other ladies persuaded me out of it! So I'm not sure Mumsnet totally represents average opinion on this. I was waiting with several ladies who'd had both colonoscopies and gastroscopies numerous times before and none of them were bothering with sedation so I thought if they could manage, so could I smile

gingeroots Fri 27-Nov-15 19:08:52

[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2513000-Endoscopy-whilst-pregnant-help?]][

Tarrarra Fri 27-Nov-15 20:53:10

I had one without sedation. As others have said, it isn't the best thing in the world, but it doesn't take long. I did panic a bit at first when I started gagging, but the nurse told me to just concentrate on my breathing and once I calmed down it was better.

gamerchick Fri 27-Nov-15 20:59:45

I'm liking this thread. My GP is tearing her hair out because I need one but would rather suffer and not be able to eat instead than face the picture in my head.

Not meaning to hijack (apologies OP) what if they need biopsys and whatnot, does that mean it's then painful and much longer? And are you sitting up straight when they do it?

Good luck OP flowers

BuggersMuddle Fri 27-Nov-15 21:01:40

I've had two. First was absolutely fine, no problems.

Second the consultant was a bit grumpy as I found it tough & needed two goes but didn't want sedation as the drug they use (midazolam) doesn't work too well for me.

As others have said though, it's over quite quickly. Try to keep as calm as possible and concentrate on your breathing. The nurses have been lovely on both occasions and really helped.

Getting away straight away afterwards was worth it for me too.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 21:02:47

It's fine gamerchick it is a worry! The Secetary rang me and said the biopsies are painless just feel a niggling and I'm to lie on my left side for it (not sure if it's because I'm pregnant?)
Mine is next Friday so I'll let you know how it goes, good luck to you too flowers

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 21:03:36

buggers I didn't realise could leave straight away if no sedation, that's good to know smile

Mellifera Fri 27-Nov-15 21:05:11

I had one done without sedation. It's manageable. Taking biopsies didn't hurt.
I didn't want to be sedated because I hate it.
Had a few other procedures done without sedation, don't ask wink

Hassled Fri 27-Nov-15 21:06:14

One of my DCs had one without sedation (his choice - there was a football match he wanted to go to) - I was with him. It really doesn't take long and while it was clearly unpleasant for him, nothing which has left him traumatised. I suppose it depends on how strong your gag reflex is - I gag cleaning my teeth, so I don't know if I could have managed it.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 21:09:00

Ah I've an awful gag reflex hassled I've got hyperemisis so I'll probably vomit anyway blush

gamerchick Fri 27-Nov-15 21:11:10

Yes please come back and update us OP, good luck flowers

That's the thing, the ruddy gag reflex, I can't even get moulds done at the dentist. I'm very happy to hear some non horror stories, many thanks.

Wolpertinger Fri 27-Nov-15 21:11:25

I had biopsies - they didn't hurt at all. It did take a bit longer for them to biopsy exactly the right bit which was why I really felt I'd had enough by the time it was over. I think left side is just standard - I was on my left side and definitely not pregnant smile The nurses hold you in the right position so you can't move but is actually really supportive as it feels just like a giant hug - one of them was stroking my head which really helped as well.

However if you aren't sedated they can also tell you what they saw straight away and show you the video which is pretty cool.

Also you can go home straight away - I drove myself home. Don't plan much though as you will be burping and uncomfortable from all the air they have pumped into your stomach - it takes a few hours for it all to disperse.

BuggersMuddle Fri 27-Nov-15 21:12:38

gamerchick IME biopsies feel a bit like a slight tugging sensation, but they don't hurt. I thought they were taken as standard.

I won't lie though, it's not pleasant, but some people cope far better than others (DP found it a walk in the park, I did the first time but did less well the second). I haven't found a sore throat afterwards.

My DM has had the sedative and she was out her tree, vaguely aware it happened and apparently had the same conversation with the consultant twice. No grim memories whatsoever but a slightly sore throat. DF drove her home gibbering contentedly grin

I am a ginger stereotype though (painkillers / anaesthetic - throw it at me), which docs have commented on, so I'm not perhaps the best person to comment on the efficacy of the drugs grin

FreeWorker1 Fri 27-Nov-15 21:15:28

It really does depend on your gag reflex.

I have had it done twice. Once with sedation. Once with throat spray.

If I had my choice I would go with sedation next time.

Its not pleasant. Its doable. They do talk you through it. It wasn't too bad until they moved the gastroscope around inside my stomach which made me wretch a lot.

gamerchick Fri 27-Nov-15 21:23:28

Right so sedation it is. So many thankyous. I've been properly terrified.

I wouldn't care, the other end is a peace of piss and no sedation. I'm quite taken with gibbering contentantly grin

MrsPinotGrigio Fri 27-Nov-15 22:42:40

I've had two - both without sedation & it wasn't as bad as I expected. I had the spray & the dr talked me through it. Hope it goes ok.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 22:46:34

I'm hoping it'll be the same for me MrsPinot, I'm glad it went ok smile

StarfrightMcFangsie Fri 27-Nov-15 22:48:51

I have one next Thursday. To say I'd rather not is the understatement of the century.

Sedation makes me aggressive, uncooperative and likely to result in restraint that I will remember as assault so I'll be opting out of that.

My brother has had a number of them and finds them an annoyance rather than scary.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 22:50:24

Good luck for Thursday starfright flowers let me know how you get one.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 27-Nov-15 22:50:36

Sorry I meant get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now