Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh God this sounds like breast cancerr

(39 Posts)
PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 10:58:39

I found a big hard breast lump about 6 months ago. I dismissed it as nothing because I am young (22) have no family history of breast cancer and it moves freely under the skin.
Stupidly I forgot all about it until a week ago I noticed that my nipple in the lumpy breast is inverted. I went to my GP who refered me to the breast clinic. My appointment is tomorrow. Since my Gp ap (she thought it was a cyst) I have been googling. Nipple inversion is bad. Hard lumps are bad. Jagged edges are bad. Worse, my underarms both ache. If this is cancer my stupidity in assuming it was nothing will mean its too late to be treated. How do I cope with that?

MajesticWhine Thu 26-Nov-15 11:03:59

So sorry to hear this, it must be really worrying. Stop googling though - it is really not helping. Googling always leads you to the worst case scenario. Your appointment is tomorrow and you will find out more then. If it is cancer, then you will forgive yourself for being human and you will get all the treatment that you need.

PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 11:21:36

Thank you for responding so quickly. Its nice to feel less alone I have no one in real life to talk to. My partner is mostly rubbish at this kind of thingand our toddler isn't a great conversationalist ha.
Have you ever heard of a lump having all the characterisitc bad signs and being okay? Or someone with breast cancer delaying treatment and being ok in the end!? My Gp said it felt like a cyst would she just be saying that to make me feel better? I suffer badly with anxiety and you are right about doctor google. I need to stay away. Thank you.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 26-Nov-15 11:21:55

Stay off Google. You will know more after the clinic. If it is cancer, there is plenty of very effective treatment. Have you got someone who can go with you? Also, take a bar of chocolate for afterwards- it genuinely helps flowers

flustercuck Thu 26-Nov-15 11:25:23

Step away from Google. I had a referral earlier this year and like you was terrified. It's hard but try to not work yourself up. Tomorrow you'll get answers and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get an all clear flowers

PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 11:30:37

No one. My partner is at work and cant get time off and we have just moved lmiles away from family and friends. The only friend I have here is kindly going to be babysitting for me.I will take chocolate and a book. Will they give me any news tomorrow? I have read about fibrodenomas being common in my age group but they dont seem to have rough edges or invert nipples. My partner says my nipple has been inverted dfor as long as he has known me (5 years). I don't think thats true but he keeps saying he is the person who sees my breasts the most.
I am struggling this morning so much. Sat my little boy in front of Cbeebies because I feel like I cant xplay like everything is fine.

NCforaRainyTuesday Thu 26-Nov-15 11:33:50

If the lump is freely mobile then that's a very good sign, and nipple inversion can happen if the lump compresses a duct or a ligament. Or it can just randomly happen for no reason. Don't panic, be calm for the clinic and fingers crossed everything is fine. When you're worried loads of other symptoms seem to appear but you wouldn't get both underarms aching unless both breasts had it which is very very unlikely.
No more Googling!

PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 11:42:53

Thanks, you are all so lovely calming me down like this. As I said I don't have people in real life. My parents love a good drama if that makes sense, my friends have pretty much disapeared after having my son and my boyfriend does not want to talk about it at all.
If lump hasn't grown in 6 months, it shoots across breast when you touch it and my partner thinks nipple has been inverted for years these are good signs right? Cancels out the bad of jagged edges and rough texture maybe.

justanotherquestion Thu 26-Nov-15 11:47:27

Well, I had one that had been there for years, moveable, round and felt like a pea. It was quite hard though, but smooth. I then discovered a lump under my arm with irregular edges and not moveable. I had all the same feelings as you - that I had left it too late and that it had spread. The GP thought it was a cyst, as it was moveable and thought the other lump was 'nothing'. I was referred quickly to the Marsden and he was a little shocked that the breast with the lump was several cup sizes larger than the other one. Cue panic.

However all was fine - just a harmless cyst that I did not even need aspirated. The good thing is that they should be able to tell very quickly if it is anything of concern.

Good luck and post back.

PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 11:54:11

I will post back smile my lump feels like an inperfect hard oval joined to a flatter softer oval. It feels big to me but I have tiny breasts.

flustercuck Thu 26-Nov-15 11:59:54

In my experience they give you the results on the day. You may have to wait around in the clinic for a while so bring a book or magazine in case they don't allow phones.

PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 12:03:23

If they give results on day maybe I should push my partner more to take day off?

ThreeRuddyTubs Thu 26-Nov-15 12:03:46

It's not quite the same thing but I had rectal bleeding and I left it for 2 years before I saw anyone about it because I was so scared tjat it might be cancer. Eventually had it investigated and it turned out to be piles but I have health anxiety as well do I scared myself stupid about it. It doesn't matter how long you have left it you're getting it seen to now. Good luck and be kind to yourself

Goingtobeawesome Thu 26-Nov-15 12:03:56

Doing nothing until now does not mean that it is too late to do anything. I understand the need to google but everyone is right, don't google. Whatever Google says it doesn't know YOU. Good luck tomorrow.

flustercuck Thu 26-Nov-15 12:07:57

If there is anything wrong with you they'll ask if you want to phone anyone to come in with you to get your results.

My auntie came with me for my whole appointment. We're close anyway and I'm glad she was there for moral support.

madmotherof2 Thu 26-Nov-15 12:08:21

Just wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow thanks

Could you take your little boy out for some fresh air this afternoon? Help to take your mind off it a little x

flustercuck Thu 26-Nov-15 12:09:20

Meant to say my DH offered to come but I knew he was very busy at work and didn't want him taking time off. I'd have phoned him straight away if the news had been bad.

PeppaAteMySoul Thu 26-Nov-15 12:25:16

Okay I'm taking my boy to the park and then softplay to distract me. Before I go quick question. My period is a few days late do I need to do a preg test before tomorrow in case they want to scan me or anything?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 26-Nov-15 12:25:04

I have had lumps that have needed investigating 3 times in the last 5 years, the latest lump was accompanied by tissue changes and a change in the nipple but it was still just a cyst. I was told the results on the same day all three times, the only time our hospital make you wait for results is if you have to have a biopsy then the results take a few days to come back.

Good luck tomorrow, keep in mind that the vast majority of lumps are innocent flowers

Penguito Thu 26-Nov-15 12:30:10

Good luck, I hope it turns out to be nothing. I would do a pregnancy test before you go.

FellOffMyUnicorn Thu 26-Nov-15 12:32:02

good luck tomorrow xx

Goingtobeawesome Thu 26-Nov-15 12:32:56

It would be sensible to do a a pregnancy test.

weebarra Thu 26-Nov-15 12:38:25

I did have breast cancer - I'd left it for a while as well as I'd just had DC3 and thought it was a blocked duct. I had cancer in both breasts and in the lymph nodes in both arm pits. That was just over two years ago and I'm still here and have long completed all my treatment. Remember 9/10 lumps are not cancerous! If you need support while you're waiting, pop over to the Tamoxigang thread on general health - the ladies there are lovely and know that the waiting to find out truly is the hardest part.
Good luck.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 26-Nov-15 18:29:33

thanks OP

I can only imagine how scared you are. Dr Google is a prick though ;)

I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Bladders73 Thu 26-Nov-15 21:35:17

I'll be thinking of you too. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now