Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

5cm cyst ovary

(18 Posts)
AhhhhABaby Tue 24-Nov-15 23:46:27

So on Friday I found out I have a 5 cm cyst on my left ovary. Today I started my menstral cycle (4 days after scan) wondering if having period so close effects what the 5cm means? My periods are irregular so had no clue on Friday they were due. Also does this mean the cyst is likely to shrink now?
I'm going to give gynaecology a call tommow as periods are really heavy when usually very very light. Just thought I'd come here in the meantime.

holeinmyheart Wed 25-Nov-15 11:01:55

I shouldn't think the size of the cyst makes any difference to your periods, mine didn't.
I had it removed and they said it was large. I went on to ovulate every month and have several DCs,
I have a lovely scar along my bikini line. You will be fine.
Hugs

AhhhhABaby Wed 25-Nov-15 18:31:49

Thank you, I wasn't sure if the cyst would have been enlarged because my period was due days later causing all this worry for nothing (just kidding myself ??)

I've to get a scan in 4 weeks and then they will operate if it's not got any smaller, I'm just petrified incase it causes the ovary to twist sad xxx

holeinmyheart Wed 25-Nov-15 18:54:41

The cyst sits on top of the ovary and is not part of it as far as I know. Mine was removed and I presume I was left with scarring on the ovary, but I still ovulated.
You ovulate alternate sides. ( sorry if you know this already.)
I had my operation 51 years ago and I was fine. Think how things have moved on now. Surgery techniques are amazing.
Best of luck.

Titsywoo Wed 25-Nov-15 19:02:05

There are cysts called corpeus lutem that are related to the menstrual cycle but your next scan will show if that is the case. Twisting is unlikely - I had an 11cm cyst and although painful it never twisted. If it does start to the pain will be bad so go to A&E and they will whip it out. I get cysts a lot and am living with another 11cm one now which they can't get out at the moment but currently it causes me no bother and I don't think about it to be honest.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Wed 25-Nov-15 19:13:08

I had one that apparently was the size of a golf ball - they spotted it during one of my pregnancy scans (although I was getting pain from it so knew something was up) Apparently it burst of its own accord - not sure if that's normal AhhAbaby confused

Sorry to be not much use!

AhhhhABaby Wed 25-Nov-15 19:39:05

Thanks everyone's, I'm still young and never really paid attention that part of the body, I'm in a hell of a lot of pain with the cyst even though it's only 5cm feel for you titsywoo having one at 11cm how do you cope! At times I'm doubled over with pain.

I went into A&E on Friday and that's how it was found. Suppose I just need to take the wait and see approach, was half open because I had my period it would be away now but I assume that's now the case? Xx

holeinmyheart Wed 25-Nov-15 19:58:11

I was in absolute agony but it was intermittent pain and with the blithness and ignorance of youth I just suffered, and then when it went away I forgot about it.
Eventually I was vomiting and then collapsed. Even then I didn't do anything. It was a friend who called an ambulance. She takes responsibility for saving my life.

I was taken to St Georges in London and I screamed when they tried to examine me. The consultant told me not to be so bloody stupid. (Imagine that now, those were the days) it must have been difficult to diagnose as he asked me if I could be pregnant. I was 19 and very indignant, as I certainly was not as I was a virgin ( those also were the days) he removed my appendices and the cyst.
It is a serious operation but I am fine.

Titsywoo Wed 25-Nov-15 23:17:46

Sorry holeintheheart but I don't think it is a serious operation in general. It is usually done by keyhole and is pretty much minor surgery. Your situation sounds like am unusual one if it was life threatening which would only be the case if you got peritonitis from it bursting which is pretty rare.

Titsywoo Wed 25-Nov-15 23:19:05

I don't have pain OP. I did with the first cyst but this is more complicated as I have endometriosis and lots of weird gynae stuff going on not related to the other cysts I have had smile

longingforfun Wed 25-Nov-15 23:24:30

I had one which i was told was the size of a plum. It caused me dreadful pain whenever I got my period and it was whipped out as soon as it was diagnosed. I think it was drained but not sure as it was a while ago. I fell pregnant several times afterwards so no long term effect.

holeinmyheart Thu 26-Nov-15 04:24:32

Well* titsywoo* my operation was a long time ago. Today it would ,as you say be keyhole surgery.
My own scar extends across my lower abdomen.
Today there would be very little scarring as techniques in Surgery have moved on. Good.
I hope that you get better and your treatment is successful.

Doublebubblebubble Thu 26-Nov-15 05:42:23

I had a 7cm cyst ( left also) a few years back... I was in absolute agony - had a kidney infection as well, joy until I got my period and it just went of its own accord then have to say the whole experience was very strange...

sashh Thu 26-Nov-15 06:34:05

It is a serious operation but I am fine

Not any more, it's keyhole. My appendix scar is 6 inches long, the 3 ops I've had to investigate and remove my ovary have left me with a 2com scar just under my belly button. There is always the chance they will have to do 'open' surgery but they do try to avoid it.

OP I had one that kept bursting and then growing again, only found on third emergency admission as it hadn't burst yet.

I had my ovary removed (2 attempts because I have a lot of adhesions and the first surgeon didn't think he had the skills and the ovary was healthy).

I'm 49 so I'm not actually using my ovaries for much but as you are younger I don't think they will do that unless they have to.

PollyPerky Thu 26-Nov-15 09:31:31

OP How do you know you are in pain with the cyst? I think from what you say you are having period pains which are not affected by cysts.
Cysts are usually painless unless they become twisted and burst (then it's off to A&E) or they grow so big that they press on other bits of your insides.
I had 1 which was 3.5 cms and never knew about it or felt it.
The 'rule' is that cysts up to 5cms are left alone and watched- especially in younger women- and removed possibly if they are larger or look suspicious.It will probably just go away.

AhhhhABaby Thu 26-Nov-15 19:27:17

I know the pains are the cyst because I have actually been in pain for 3 weeks but the doctor didnt send me for a scan. It wasn't untill Friday when I went into A&E after the pain got severely worse that they scanned and said that I had a cyst and that's what the pain was.

AhhhhABaby Thu 26-Nov-15 21:03:07

My cyst is 5.5x5.4x5.1 for info, thanks everyone for you comment put my mind at rest a lot that if anything it will be keyhole surgery and not anything major.

Getting worse as the days goes on!
I just hate how all I can take is paracetmol, due to other medical conditions they can't give me anything stronger sad

Thanks again ladies flowerswine

AhhhhABaby Sat 28-Nov-15 23:47:43

So ladies would just like to confirm the pain is definately due to cyst and not period (period stopped Thursday night).

Another trip to A&E this afternoon and they have confirmed its most likely the cyst pressing against a nerve. Unfortunately though still have to take the wait and see approach and another 3 weeks sad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now