Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any ideas why these bloods need repeating?

(13 Posts)
NotWorkingOut Mon 23-Nov-15 19:57:50

I had a call today to say I need some bloods repeating. The doc wants a full blood count, b12, folate and ferritin doing again. I don't know what the levels were and it didn't say why they needed doing apparently.

I went in with constant nausea, ibs type symptoms and headaches if that helps?!

Pico2 Mon 23-Nov-15 20:04:10

Sometimes it's just that your blood clotted so they couldn't actually test it.

NotWorkingOut Mon 23-Nov-15 20:12:01

I hadn't thought of that, thanks! That's quite reassuring!

Iliketeaagain Mon 23-Nov-15 20:13:22

Do they need repeated immediately? Wondered if you were on the border of "normal range" and they repeat to see if anything changes over time?

BYOSnowman Mon 23-Nov-15 20:14:44

we had this when dd was born - midwife admitted the vial was dropped and it took the lab 4 hours to tell her!

NotWorkingOut Mon 23-Nov-15 20:26:17

They were done about 10 days ago (I could never get through when I tried calling to get the results) and they're being redone on Friday, so not sure if that counts as a redo or a leave a while? I did have other bloods done at the same time which I'm assuming were ok!

spilttheteaagain Wed 25-Nov-15 11:07:36

This has happened to me before - it turned out to be because I was borderline out of range for a couple of things and they requested retesting in 2 weeks to either show I definitely needed treatment or that it was a blip of some sort I think!

VocationalGoat Wed 25-Nov-15 11:10:43

Anaemia is probably what they're looking for.
Maybe the lab messed up on your first sample or as another poster said, the blood clotted. Or maybe they just want to retest as another poster said. It's common to retest a month later. Two weeks is a bit early to retest.

NotWorkingOut Wed 25-Nov-15 13:27:59

I was thinking they were probably looking at anaemia. I gave blood about 6 weeks ago though, although my little sample was slow to 'drop'. So that could possibly have tipped me ocer the edge!

Tippytappytoes Wed 25-Nov-15 14:01:50

I had a full blood test 2 weeks ago and I've been called back for another test next week. My Lymphocyte count was low so they want to monitor it. I know this because I remembered to ask when they phoned me (I think they think I'm pyschic and will know why), but if you are worried give them a ring, it is your health and you are entitled to know what's going on.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 25-Nov-15 20:21:45

Blood clotted, blood haemolysed or blood lipaemic would be the most common reasons for repeating samples for biochemistry. Next would be wrong tubes used and poor sample handling ( got too hot or too cold). Finally operator error - they dropped it. I teach lab technique to veterinary nurses this is a standard question.

PhilPhilConnors Wed 25-Nov-15 20:24:17

I had to have a retest two weeks after the first so they could compare results.

NotWorkingOut Sat 28-Nov-15 07:47:28

Thanks everyone. It turns out I'm anaemic, hb was 110. The nurse wasn't very forthcoming with information and just said it looks like I'm a little anaemic, I had to look at the screen to see the numbers!

I'm taking it as an excuse to drink some Guinness and eat tonnes of sprouts! Need to get some orange juice too. I've got my period as well so need to be careful really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now