Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH has Shingles - advice and support needed

(5 Posts)
PurpleWithRed Mon 23-Nov-15 12:45:34

Following a catastrophic bout of D&V DH has come down with Shingles. He has Aciclovar but has anyone got any advice for general coping especially itching/pain relief?

AnonymousBird Mon 23-Nov-15 14:29:22

Your poor DH. Aciclovar caused me terrible stomach pains and illness, so I ended up not taking it.

Don't know what to recommend for the itching, as I am relatively fortunate and only get the rash on limited areas of my body, but for pain, ibuprofen was always good for me, as I got frightful headaches with mine as the shingles was in my face and head. Just get going with it and take the doses you are allowed and hopefully it will kick in properly after two or three doses.

If it is any consolation, should he get it again in future, hopefully his body will build up some resistance. I have had it about ten times now, and every time has got milder and milder so much so that the last time, I wasn't even sure if I had it or not and just felt off colour for a couple of days with the usual tingles but it went as quickly as it came.

nmg85 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:52:32

Calamine lotion was a god send and loose clothes were also a must for me. Rest and don't overdo it even if he feels okay in himself as it can really take it out of you.

Crankycunt Mon 23-Nov-15 14:55:20

I had shingles at 18, sudocrem was a godsend. Other than that loose fitting clothing, and as itchy as it is do not scratch. I have the scars 12 years later.

Adarajames Mon 23-Nov-15 15:01:27

Definitely to take as much rest as can to avoid risks of post vital fatigue / ME type illnesses and further bad flares.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now