Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low blood pressure

(8 Posts)
ScottishGlen Sat 21-Nov-15 23:45:25

I take atenolol for tachycardia (as a bonus it has also improved my chronic migraines) I feel fine on it and apart from cold fingers sometimes, have no side effects.
I was helping in a science lesson last week (TA) and the pupils were taking their blood pressure. I decided to take mine too and it was 112/54 and 110/56. Should I be concerned that it is this low? Prior to taking the atenolol I think it was about 110/75.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 22-Nov-15 17:15:15

Anything below 90/60 is considered low. If you don't have any symptoms of being low I wouldn't worry but would also just get it confirmed with a GP because I'm not one!

thunderbird69 Sun 22-Nov-15 17:25:55

Do you get your blood pressure checked at the gps?

Your readings don't seem that low, mine is usually lower and I've always been told that it is a good thing. The only problem is suffering from dizziness

U2HasTheEdge Sun 22-Nov-15 18:00:54

Those readings are fine.

I do obs all the time in my job and those readings would not be considered low but a healthy BP.

90 is low but even then on its own it's not always a cause for concern. I would be happy with those readings.

U2HasTheEdge Sun 22-Nov-15 18:02:06

Oh and btw, when scoring obs, the lower number is not taking into consideration, just the higher.

Etak15 Sun 22-Nov-15 18:19:51

What's your pulse rate? And what was it prior to the atenolol? some beta blockers can lower blood pressure - low blood pressure can then increase heart rate which you're trying to lower with beta blockers - does that make sense ? Maybe worth seeing your GP for a review if your pulse is high. Maybe they're will be some doctors along to explain this better - this is not medical knowledge of mine just a situation I have come across!

ScottishGlen Sun 22-Nov-15 21:06:04

I don't get my bp checked regularly but would see my gp if I felt unwell. I have just taken my pulse and it is 72. Prior to the atenolol it was racing along at 120 to 130, so a distinct improvement!

Etak15 Sun 22-Nov-15 23:32:03

Looks like it's working as its meant to be then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now