Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endoscopy whilst pregnant - help!

(15 Posts)
ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 20-Nov-15 22:00:05

Been in agony in hospital, had a scan which revealed large spleen and liver and abnormal bloods. Having a lot of gastric pain and on pethidine (still in pain though)
Dr came and wants to do an endoscopy Monday but with no sedation - will it hurt? I'm
Scared blush

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 20-Nov-15 22:25:57

Anyone ?

TheSpottedZebra Fri 20-Nov-15 22:28:01

Oh you poor thing.
Which way is the endoscopy to go -up or down?

Nospringflower Fri 20-Nov-15 22:30:41

I think you can get a throat spray instead of sedation and that is meant to help. Is the reason for no sedation because of pregnancy? I would check as it really is much better if you can have some sedation. Hope it goes well anyway.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 20-Nov-15 22:33:51

It goes down. I can't have the throat spray as allergic to it sad
Yeah they won't let me use it in pregnancy - I'm worried how it will feel for the biopsys. Bricking it!
Think I need one going up too :/

I don't have much experience of endoscopies, I was under the impression that the sedation is given not so much for pain, but because it's a bit unpleasant and you feel like you are going to vomit. They generally don't last very long, so you can take heart from that. Sorry I don't have any better advice, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon. Good luck, and I hope they can find the problem and treat it quickly flowers

Nospringflower Fri 20-Nov-15 22:40:46

I had one and although I had the sedation it didn't work - or at least not until afterwards. It wasn't pleasant but I did cope and I'm sure you will. The nurses helping were very good and are obviously used to supporting people. I wonder if you could have music or something as an alternative to try and relax / distract yourself (e.g. through earphones).

Nospringflower Fri 20-Nov-15 22:42:14

Yes, its not painful at all its just trying to overcome the gag reflex that is the uncomfortable bit. It is also over really quickly.

ConfusedInBath Sat 21-Nov-15 09:46:50

You can do it.
It's over before you know it. It's not the most pleasant experience as it makes you gag and you do feel sore after but it's doable.
Good luck flowers

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Sat 21-Nov-15 10:53:32

Thank you all for your replies feel a bit more at ease although still very nervous sad

PoshPenny Sat 21-Nov-15 20:31:24

if it helps you, the nurse told me after mine that it only takes about 4 minutes to do the actual endoscopy. It takes longer for the sedation to kick in.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Sat 21-Nov-15 21:01:47

Ah really? I didn't realise that, 4mins isn't that bad. Thank you PoshPenny.

hiccupgirl Mon 23-Nov-15 16:45:42

I had an endoscopy last year - sedation wasn't offered at all but I did have the spray up my nose to numb it. Tbh the spray was horrible and got into my sinuses and gave me an awful headache for the rest of the day.

The actual endoscopy was fine without sedation - I had a nurse who sat and stroked my head and I closed my eyes as I didn't want to watch the screen. It's was literally 5 mins and although I could feel the biopsies a little bit, they didn't hurt at all.

gingeroots Mon 23-Nov-15 17:41:57

Up your nose ? That sounds unusual.
Hope it went ok can'tthink.

hiccupgirl Mon 23-Nov-15 21:00:54

Yes, up the nose so it avoids the gag reflex. It was fine apart from the nasal spray tasted vile and got into my sinuses which was horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now