Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hypothyroidism- dessicated thyroid

(4 Posts)
Rollermum Fri 20-Nov-15 19:39:44

Have any UK MNers experience of using dessicated thyroid rather than artificial?

I've had Hashimotos since I was 18, now 33. I've seen lots of US sites about T3 and T4 and how much better desiccated thyroid is compared to synthetic. I'm assuming in the UK this is impossible to get on NHS.

I am asking out of interest and because all these years on I still don't feel quite right.

PoshPenny Fri 20-Nov-15 19:54:26

Yes I take NDT as it's known. Nhs kept telling me my thyroid was "normal" although i felt absolutely awful in all sorts of different ways. they regularly scan my thyroid monitoring its nodules, that's "normal" too apparently. Anyway I needed to feel better and function so i went to thyroid uk ŵebsite and got a list of doctors (private) who would prescribe, made an appointment and went along with all my blood test results going back 5 years.

Would suggest you start with looking at the stop the thyroid madness website. Also thyroid uk and thyroid patient advocacy websites.

I feel like I used to 20 years ago after nearly 2 years on NDT and a raft of lifestyle modifications. Some people can get their GP to prescribe it, but they are few and far between, so many have no choice but to self medicate

Rollermum Fri 20-Nov-15 21:26:26

Thanks Posh Penny, very helpful. Glad you are feeling better.

I will look into those sites. My biggest worry is it will be prohibitively expensive.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your lifestyle changes if you feel like sharing.

Pleasemrstweedie Sat 21-Nov-15 10:06:46

I endorse everything that Penny says.

The NHS can prescribe on a named patient basis, but generally don't. However, ThyroidUK do have a national list of GP surgeries who do.

I buy my own from Thailand. It costs me about £40 a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now