Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long does Carbamazepine take to work? Trigeminal Neuralgia (poss atypical!).

(5 Posts)
Draylon Fri 20-Nov-15 09:27:42

My GP put me on this 9 days ago, and I reached the proper dose 3 days ago (600mg a day).

It's making me mildly nauseous, rather spaced out- but isn't working. As in I still need 4 lots of over-the-counter pain medication (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) every day.

My pain is atypical in that it isn't short-term and electric-shock or stabby in nature, nothing triggers it and my face isn't tender during that attack; it's grinding, 'deep' in the angle of my jaw and lasts for hours. Or would if I wasn't taking horse-tranquillizer doses of Ibuprofen! The worst I've had since I've been on the Carb was at midnight last night. I was in agony for 45 mins til either the Ibuprofen worked, the pain went away by itself, or the Carb 'worked', (though I thought the point of the Carb was to prevent the pain happening in the first place?)

So my question/s is:

Is Carb a drug that takes ages to become effective? As in it builds up gradually in your bloodstream til it suddenly becomes effective?

Or if, after 9 days, I am still getting attacks that make suicide feel like an option, can I safely say Carb isn't working?

And, IF Ibuprofen is getting on top of the pain, is it possible this isn't TN at all?

As an aside, I have the dentist later as I was embarking, as do many TN patients, on a course of tooth re-filling to try and uncover the source of the pain (lower 6 completely done, lower 8 half done); I have to have a 'sedative' (ha!) filling removed from my lower 8 and replaced with a permanent filling, again. I assume she'll use local- well, I've heard that true TN pain isn't stopped by dental local, so it will be -ahem- interesting to see if that is the case.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 20-Nov-15 10:33:59

It worked instantly for me in terms of pain relief, from the first dose, although sadly it wasn’t a long term solution as I was simply unable to stay awake.

It then turned out I did not have TGN anyway, but a very rotten tooth which my dentist was monitoring but had not seen fit to mention to me.

Draylon Fri 20-Nov-15 12:42:44

Update: Dentist didn't touch me as she was worried about stirring up yet more pain! The temporary filling is working fine for now.

StillMedusa Fri 20-Nov-15 16:55:40

Carbamazapine didn't work for me..just made me feel spaced out and sick.
I was switched to Pregabalin (Lyrica) on a HUGE dose, ramped up over a week or so and that stopped the TN. Once under control I then was switched to Gabapentin (cheaper) which works fine and I'm still on it, now at a lower dose.

Please go back ..if it's not working for you, you should be tried on another.

My sympathies..my pain was more like yours (though started with a 'stab') and I lost two healthy teeth at the dentists before I was dx!

Draylon Fri 20-Nov-15 17:06:27

Thanks for the advice, Medusa- I am beginning to think that Carb is a drug that ought to start working pretty quickly, like, say paracetamol does; but as opposed to say Prozac which I believe needs to build up in your system in order to work.

My appt with the GP is Dec 3rd but I think I will have to bring it forwards as this is ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now