Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swallowing food down wrong hole?

(7 Posts)
MrsGinnyPotter Fri 20-Nov-15 07:31:15

Dd was sucking on a tick tack when she suddenly swallowed it. She said it was tiny and it slipped down. She thinks she may have swallowed it down the wrong hole.
She didn't cough or anything but I wonder if she wouldn't as it was so small... Is there anyway to tell if she did or not?
Google suggests that if she did swallow it I to her airway she could end up with a pneumonia or an infection of some sort!

Help!!

AIN Fri 20-Nov-15 10:16:53

How old is she? I'm almost 100% sure she would at least cough. It probably went down the right hole but at a funny angle so it felt strange.

hufflebottom Fri 20-Nov-15 10:45:36

Unless it got caught under the flap of skin over the windpipe it's unlikely. It's probably more likely to have gone down sideways and felt strange.

itsmine Fri 20-Nov-15 11:04:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VagueIdeas Fri 20-Nov-15 11:07:49

It's true, if it's gone into her airway you'd know about it. Don't worry smile

MrsDeVere Fri 20-Nov-15 11:11:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NanaNina Sat 21-Nov-15 19:45:05

There is only one way we swallow something. I know we talk about something "going down the wrong way" and I don't really know what happens, but there isn't a "wrong way" - though as others have said I'd keep an eye on your DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now