Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncup thrush

(12 Posts)
WelshMoth Thu 19-Nov-15 23:31:40

I've used it for years but last few months has given me thrush like symptoms at the end of my cycle. It's been out for a full 24hrs now and I'm sore! Anyone else had this?

Fabraine Fri 20-Nov-15 11:45:32

I stopped using it for exactly that reason (probably not helpful). I was a big fan for ages but then realised that sticking something plasticy into a warm wet environment for hours at a time was a recipe for 'growth'. Reluctantly went back to pads/tampons and haven't had a problem since.

29PaddingtonSt Fri 20-Nov-15 11:48:48

How are you cleaning and sterilising it?

bagsofbats Fri 20-Nov-15 11:54:26

I had similar problems so reluctantly went back to tampons. I sterilized it at the start of each period and washed it according to instructions.

WelshMoth Fri 20-Nov-15 17:41:33

That's disappointing - I really prefer them.
I rinse out every 6 hours or so, then after my period ends, I sterilise in Milton tablets for 15-20 mins, rinse thoroughly, then pop it back into the linen storage bag.
Doesn't help that canesten cream stings like hell as well, so I get no relief!!!

29PaddingtonSt Fri 20-Nov-15 20:05:27

I would stop using the Milton and steam sterilise instead (I use the microwave sterilising bags) I used to get sore when I used Milton even though I made sure I rinsed it well. No problems now I steam sterilise.

WelshMoth Sat 21-Nov-15 00:31:44

I'll try them, .Paddington. Thanks.
Where do you buy the bags?

29PaddingtonSt Sat 21-Nov-15 00:59:22

You can get them from Boots, Mothercare etc or on Amazon. ink{http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munchkin-051246-Microwave-Steriliser-Bags/dp/B006MB1SA2/ref=sr\www.amazon.co.uk/Munchkin-051246-Microwave-Steriliser-Bags/dp/B006MB1SA2/ref=s]]r}11_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448067487&sr=8-2&keywords=steam+sterilising+bags

LivingInMidnight Sat 21-Nov-15 14:27:09

This might be a stupid question, but are you washing your hands before removing/inserting each time?

Branleuse Sat 21-Nov-15 14:28:49

I stopped using mine because I kept getting thrush too.

OddlyLogical Sat 21-Nov-15 16:07:06

Part of the reason I started using a mooncup was because I had persistent thrush. I hardly ever have problems since then. In fact, I used to rinse my mooncup in a very mild solution of tea tree oil in water before putting it in. That seemed to help reduce the thrush.
A very strict sugar free diet with no yeast or refined carbs for a couple of weeks, also helped getting rid of thrush once and for all.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 21-Nov-15 16:09:48

Can you try without for a couple of months? It may be coincidental, not the mooncup (I think people often get thrush around their period because the pH of the vagina changes or something?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now