Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ugh. had a flu jab. Feel like crap!

(23 Posts)
Madelinehatter Wed 18-Nov-15 18:44:31

Just that really. Wish I hadn't bothered!

BikeRunSki Wed 18-Nov-15 18:49:09

This always happens to me. Nurse says it's your immune system responding to the jab and making the right antibodies, or something along those lines. Not actual flu. I don't have a jab anymore. I'm not vulnerable, would rather risk being actually ill.

Madelinehatter Wed 18-Nov-15 18:51:23

Thanks. I was at docs for something else and they offered it.....wish I'd turned it down. Feel awful....

BikeRunSki Wed 18-Nov-15 18:56:43

Parecetomol and hot toddies for you! I usually feel better in 2 or 3 days. Apart from the year dd decided to come early by crash cm section under GA, the day after my flu jab and it took about 6 months to feel better!

brew (boozy one)
chocolate (just because)

NorthernLurker Wed 18-Nov-15 18:57:57

It's NOT the jab. You feel ill because you'd feel ill anyway. It's the time of year.

Have you had some paracetamol and plenty of fluids?

Madelinehatter Wed 18-Nov-15 19:18:05

Is not the jab? She did say I might feel a bit under the weather from it. Feel horrid. Whatever the cause.

FishOn Wed 18-Nov-15 19:21:36

I've never felt ill from a flu jab. Thought it was only the 'active' ones that made you sick?

I had typhoid for 24 hours after a jab once, which was nice grin

Fugghetaboutit Wed 18-Nov-15 19:30:15

Of course it's from the jab. Some people have no reaction, some feel like they have mild flu.

IndomitabIe Wed 18-Nov-15 19:38:01

Northern Lurker is right, it's not likely to be the inactivated virus in the jab. It could be something you've caught anyway. It's most likely to be psychosomatic because she told you you would feel "under the weather".

I had it last week. Was fine. got a different virus this week but it doesn't prove anything! DS had it yesterday. He's fine.

IndomitabIe Wed 18-Nov-15 19:39:23

Psychosomatic doesn't mean that what you're feeling isn't real, by the way, just that it's unlikely you've got actual flu from a vaccination.

And yes, my sample of two doesn't make good anecdata either!

Needaninsight Wed 18-Nov-15 19:41:17

Of course it's from the jab! It's full of all sorts of crap. I'm amazed anyone has a flu jab. They don't even work, and you get ill by having it?!

Hulababy Wed 18-Nov-15 19:42:41

Normally am fine with my flu jab. This year I felt ill afterwards. I had a very hard, hot swelling where the jab had been and for a couple of days or so afterwards I was ill - aches, pains, tired, etc. I am pretty sure if was as a result of the flu jab.

I know a handful of people this year who have felt ill following their flu jab.

NorthernLurker Wed 18-Nov-15 19:43:51

<<sigh>> the flu jab does work.

It doesn't give 100% protection against every strain of flu but it is an effective vaccination and personally I think if you're offered it and turn it down you're a bit daft. I get mine every year btw - one of the few perks of being NHS staff.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 18-Nov-15 19:43:37

I know a couple of folks who've been knocked off their feet after the flu jab.

Madelinehatter Wed 18-Nov-15 19:44:19

I had one last year and was fine btw. Had flu jab and menococcal or whatever it is also. Probably bad to have both but doc said it would be fine.

hollinhurst84 Wed 18-Nov-15 19:44:23

Need - not everyone gets unwell from having it. I had a slightly sore arm for a few days, that was it. Can't risk having flu so I chose to have the jab

Hulababy Wed 18-Nov-15 19:44:45

And whilst you cannot catch flu from the flu jab, it is not uncommon to suffer from mild fever and aching muscles, etc. following it. These are normal known side affects. They do not affect everyone, but they do occur for some people.

Hulababy Wed 18-Nov-15 19:46:12

Actually Needaninsight - the flu jab does generally work, in the vast majoirty of cases. And for some people it is essential they try to protect themselves from flu, as flu can be very dangerous for certain people.

I'd rather have the side effects of fever and aches for a couple of days than full on flu

specialsubject Wed 18-Nov-15 19:54:33

bleeding obvious statements:

- the flu jab does not give you flu
- you may get some side-effects from it
- it takes 2 weeks to take effect
- you may already be starting flu
- it does not give 100% protection against all strains

life is a risk, you're going to die, nothing is 100% safe. Some on here can't cope with these facts.

WaitroseEssentialPancetta Wed 18-Nov-15 20:02:22

It usually makes me feel terrible and I get a hot lump in my arm for days but this year was fine, does that mean I've already had this years?

Madelinehatter Wed 18-Nov-15 20:02:18

I can cope with the facts! Just bemoaning my situation! Looking for sympathy!

BlackSwan Wed 18-Nov-15 21:18:46

You have my sympathy madelinehatter. I felt awful for about 5 days after my jab then got proper fluey symptoms for a couple of days (runny nose, aches, tiredness), then felt well again.
Didn't have the same thing last year, but this very much felt like a reaction to me.

Madelinehatter Wed 18-Nov-15 21:26:06

Thanks. Had my tea and 2 Nurofen and feeling a bit better. My aches have subsided anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now