Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any surgeons/Doctors around?

(25 Posts)
Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 18:01:35

DP is a tree surgeon and spends the day lifting wood chippers onto tow bars, climbing trees with chainsaws strapped to his waist and generally lugging wood around grin

He has an umbilical hernia which he's been in agony with since last night. Came to A&E this morning after vomiting all night, in writhing agony and big bulge over his stomach.

Is currently hooked up to a drip as dehydrated and low blood pressure. Still in pain after suppositories.

A SHO from surgery came round to look at him, poked his stomach and pushed the hernia back in (DP looked like he wanted to kill him hmm)

SHO is recommending no surgery and DP can go home. If DP goes home surely this will just happen again as soon as he goes back to work?

SHO asked what he did for a living and then said to try not to lift anything heavy hmm.

Does it sound right that he doesn't need surgery to repair the hernia or is it unlikely to happen again?

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 18:02:49

DP still really dizzy and vomiting. SHO said that could be sorted with meds.

MummySparkle Wed 18-Nov-15 18:09:33

That sounds horrible for your DP. Are you able to ask to see a different doctor? x

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 18:17:52

Not really he waited a few hours to see this one

Playdoughcaterpillar Wed 18-Nov-15 18:20:19

Ideally needs an op but not as emergency if reducible. Will have to join a waiting list unfortunately.

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 18:23:36

Reductable? Is that because they could push it back in? (sorry if obvious question!)

Moreisnnogedag Wed 18-Nov-15 18:25:45

Umm always difficult without seeing a patient but <ahem> you can always ask for a senior review

SockQueen Wed 18-Nov-15 19:15:54

Yes, reducible means it can be pushed back in. Therefore doesn't need an emergency op, but may well need it fixing soon. Have any follow-up arrangements been made?

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:47:37

Not yet because we're still here waiting. The doctor pushed in back in about 3pm, left and hasn't been back confused

Any idea how long the wait list usually is?

SockQueen Wed 18-Nov-15 22:03:05

Varies hugely depending on where you are in the country, I'm afraid. I'm not a surgeon, so I don't know how likely it is to pop out again - some people have it happen once and never again, others have a recurring problem. Hope you are on the way home with a plan now, and if not get onto your GP to refer your DP to surgical outpatients.

Autumnalleaves Wed 18-Nov-15 22:07:53

That does sound odd - I have a painless hernia and have now been referred for surgery, even though there is no pain! Both GP and outpatients surgeon seemed sure I should have it fixed. Definitely suggest you ask again while in hospital, or go to GP once discharged.

Autumnalleaves Wed 18-Nov-15 22:09:09

Wait from GP appointment to see surgeon was only about 2 weeks, wait for actual op is 10 weeks.

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:12:00

Thanks everyone!

DP is currently still at the hospital, he hasn't seen anyone since 3pm now hmm no idea what is going on. He's just called to say he's in pain but can't see anyone to ask for help. Not sure what I can do other than ring and ask them to go to his bed! He's in the clinical decision unit

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:13:01

He's still vomiting too. He had an anti emetic in his drip but that must have worn off by now?

Wigeon Wed 18-Nov-15 22:18:32

Sounds rubbish for him. Does he have a button he can buzz to call a nurse?

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:36:40

He did, nobody is there

gingeroots Wed 18-Nov-15 22:51:21

Bloody hell . I'm afraid if it were me ,and if I had no dependents at home ,I'd go down to the hospital and see if I could find a nurse or doctor to point out DH still vomiting and in pain .

So sorry you are both going through this .

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:53:24

4DC here in bed or I would be there. Just spoke to him again, still no doctor

MummySparkle Wed 18-Nov-15 23:00:10

From experience the CDU is a horrible place to be. Busy, noisy and everyone is waiting for doctors from all over the hospital to come and assess them. It sounds like your DP needs to be there at least overnight. Fingers crossed they are trying to find a bed for him somewhere else where there will hopefully be more nurses about. You and your DP are in my thoughts x

WiIdfire Wed 18-Nov-15 23:06:32

There are several different ways of managing a hernia, depending on curcumstance.

An umbilical hernia is a hole in the wall of the tummy, and this can allow a lump of fat or a piece of bowel to squeeze out through it. If it gets stuck outside, then it is a surgical emergency. If it is bowel, it should be operated on that day as there is a risk of the bowel being damaged, if it is fat then it is less of an emergency as it is not so dangerous, just painful. In that case it should be repaired within a couple if days.

If that bowel/fat goes back in again after being pushed (reduced) then it is once again safe to be operated on 'at leisure' bearing in mind that there is a risk of the bowel popping back out again, especially with heavy lifting. Since it came out and got stuck once, likelihood is recommendation for surgery, but in a timescale of weeks/months rather than immediately.

The issue here is his job, as he would need to avoid heavy lifting (Not possible?). In several departments I've worked, this would be enough to keep him in and operate within a day or so, in order that he not sit at home for weeks and lose wages, however that is only possible IF there is nothing more urgent in the queue, and IF he is healthy enough to have it done. I would suggest that the SHO is likely correct, if he recovers quickly, he could technically go home and wait for elective surgery, however if I were you, I would have a chat with the consultant in the morning and explain the nature of his job and see how busy the emergency list is. Its worth an ask, but they may still say no.

WiIdfire Wed 18-Nov-15 23:09:48

The only proviso to all that, is the slim possibility that there was already damage to the bowel when it was pushed back in. So the docs should make sure that is not the case, he should be pain free, eating normally, not vomiting and feeling well again. If there is any evidence of bowel damage then that is a different situation and will require immediate surgery to repair.

Hope thats all helpful, good luck to him.

WiIdfire Wed 18-Nov-15 23:12:16

Ps there will be nurses somewhere on CDU, so he should keep pressing the buzzer and make sure they know he is still in pain so they check him over.

Pantone363 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:37:25

Thank you Wildfire! That's more information than he's had all day.

They said it was fat that came through not bowel. It would be impossible for him to work without heavy lifting. He is still vomiting and has low blood pressure. I've just phoned the hospital myself and the nurse has gone to see him. She said they are still waiting for the doctor to come and see him.

The hospital is in special measures at the moment, this is the first time I've ever experienced this level of service to be honest. Although I'm usually at the maternity bit!

gingeroots Thu 19-Nov-15 09:08:47

Thinking of you and DH this morning .
So glad Wildfire came along .

Hope the vomiting has stopped ...um ,not medical and don't want to alarm ,but wouldn't the vomiting suggest some problem with bowel? Why do staff think he's ( still ) vomiting ?

Let us know how it goes if you can .Imagine 4 lo and DH in hospital means you have hands full .

WiIdfire Fri 20-Nov-15 07:58:51

Just wondering how you got on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now