Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Back scan now abdom scan - why?? Getting myself into a big state support really appreciated

(3 Posts)
onlyoranges Wed 18-Nov-15 16:09:38

I had a back scan a few weeks ago following on going issues with back, they suspected arthritis but now I have received a letter asking me to go for an abdominal scan and I am getting me into a big state about it. Has anyone had this? Why are they looking there now?

MatildaTheCat Wed 18-Nov-15 20:29:00

This is a major drawback of medical investigations,myou look for one thing and see something else. I will tell you what happened in my case.

Low lumbar and pelvic MRI for back pain which showed an incidental finding of a pelvic 'mass'. So I was referred for a gynae scan which showed absolutely normal pelvic anatomy. What they'd seen was a normal ovarian cyst following ovulation.

Our bodies have many variations including cysts etc which show up as 'something' on scan and then as they can't be ignored it triggers more scans and, of course, anxiety.

What is not acceptable is the fact that nobody has told you why you need another scan. How are you supposed to give informed consent? Do contact your GP or hospital consultant if you have one and ask for an explanation.

onlyoranges Sat 21-Nov-15 18:36:10

Thank you for your reply. I went to see my GP who was able to access the consultants notes. She to agreed it was a thoughtless letter but she did make me feel better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now