Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any PHARMACISTS on here? Quick pricing query

(5 Posts)
greenbananas1 Wed 18-Nov-15 12:59:03

I get a private prescription from my consultant every few months and have always paid around £9 for the item ( each month). I get several items on one prescription and the charges are never completely itemised, but I know they are all under £10 each.

Today there was a locum at the pharmacy. First she couldn't find the product on the shelf and thought she'd have to order it so I had to describe the packaging and it was there. Then she asked me how much I usually paid for it (!). I told her and it was the same as she could see on the screen BUT she then added on another 50% saying this was what was 'normal' for private scripts, PLUS another £2 dispensing charge. I don't think I have ever paid the cost per item @ 1.5 times in the 7 years I've had this drug.

she clearly wasn't sure because she gave me an itemised receipt and said she's mark it on my notes for the next time (when a new full time pharmacist will be there.)

Any ideas?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 18-Nov-15 15:07:26

As I vet I regularly purchase a particular human product from the pharmacy on a private script. We have never been charged the same price twice in several years. I have challenged it, but in this chain individual pharmacists have discretion over mark ups for private prescriptions.

greenbananas1 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:32:42

Thanks- interesting.
I used to get the items in a central London pharmacy - a very well know one- and thought they were pricey, so I started getting it locally which was cheaper.

I assumed I was always paying the RRP ( kind of!) and a small dispensing fee.

I assumed that the fee on the screen which they see is the price to the customer, already with a mark up, and not the actual wholesale price which the pharmacy has paid, because I know the wholesale price is around £4.50 . I was paying around £9 last month ( per item.) under the old pharmacist who wasn't there today. she has charged me £9 + 50% per item + £2 for dispensing. I think this is wrong.

greenbananas1 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:44:07

An update Lone if you read. I phoned them because I was sure it was incorrect and after much discussion with me on hold it turns out they made a mistake and I am owed over £10 back.

caroldecker Wed 18-Nov-15 17:09:53

They can charge what they want - in the past, for a particularly expensive item, i have shopped around and the price has varied by over 200%.
small, owner managed pharmacies appear to have more flexibility in pricing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now