Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Referred to breast clinic, can someone talk me through what might happen please?

(11 Posts)
2anddone Wed 18-Nov-15 12:42:10

Hi smile I went to see my gp on Monday as I have quite lumpy breasts and a tiny indent in my left breast. My friend has just recovered from breast cancer and this gave me the kick to go get checked. I have always checked my breasts and even though they have always been lumpy I went to get checked.
My gp has referred me to the breast clinic at the hospital and I am trying hard not to freak out.
Can anyone talk me through what to expect when I go and how long appointment will take, will I get results that day? My gp agreed they felt lumpy but made it sound like it is a precaution as she said they refer all lumps? Is there a million and one other things it could be as I am refusing to google and trying not to think it's cancer....can anyone give any advice please.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Nov-15 12:50:16

Based on my experience:

You will probably have to wait for ages at the clinic - they seem to send everyone at the same time, so take a book.

You will get called in by a doctor - top off, bra off, and they'll feel and look at your breasts.

I then got sent back to wait for an ultrasound with a nurse (I think) - they identified a cyst in my breast. The nurse drained the cyst using a very fine needle on a syringe.

I then got sent back to wait for the doctor again who checked me over again, gave me a pile of pamphlets and the direct number for the clinic so I could self refer in the future.

I was in there for a couple of hours all in I think.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Nov-15 12:51:05

And yes, there are gazillians of reasons for breast lumps, most of them completely benign.

2anddone Wed 18-Nov-15 13:00:21

Thank you smile the logical part of my brain is telling me there are lots of reasons I could have lumpy breasts, the single parent of 2 children part of me is whispering worst case scenarios left right and centre at me. Trying really hard not to panic but it's really difficult not to!

notenoughbottle Wed 18-Nov-15 20:12:07

I'm in the same position as you St the moment - feeling quite scared too and trying not to think the worst but it's hard. I'm a single parent too, so spending hours on my own each evening worrying about it!

FrancesNiadova Wed 18-Nov-15 22:40:49

You go to the clinic, they will do an ultrasound and might do a mammogram. They might do a fine needle aspiration biopsy, just to look at a few cells. Then you go home. If you're lucky, you don't get called back.
If you're worried, do log onto breastcancercare.org.uk they have a wonderful forum for people who are, "in the waiting room," and you can read/talk about your worries.
You can also phone their helpline and speak to a breast nurse. Call
0808 800 6000 for, "care, support and information from day one."
Remember, most breast lumps are nothing serious and those that are, are very treatable today. flowersflowersflowers

Pranmasghost Thu 19-Nov-15 00:23:39

Cysts
Fatty tissue
Breast 'mouse'
Fibroid in breast
All benign smile
At the clinic you will be examined by a doctor, breast and armpits, have a mammogram and possibly an ultrasound and if they find a lump they will do a fine needle aspiration to drain it.
In the unlikely event they find anything suspicious they may do a needle biopsy using a local anaesthetic.
Try not to panic. 9/10 breast lumps are benign.

2anddone Thu 19-Nov-15 22:39:19

Thank you everyone, my appointment came through today for Tuesday next week. Feeling slightly calmer reading your replies

FrancesNiadova Thu 19-Nov-15 23:02:19

flowers

FantasticRik Fri 20-Nov-15 07:43:16

Hi 2. I am in a similar situation to you. I found a lump a couple of months ago but i didn't see my GP until last week.

My appointment came through for Monday - this week has dragged so much. I understand how you're feeling as the waiting is just horrible.

Sending you some flowers this morning.

WiIdfire Fri 20-Nov-15 07:53:29

They're often one-stop clinics now. You'll get seen by a doctor, have a chat and be examined. Then if over 35 you'll have a mammogram. You'll also have an Ultrasound and possibly a biopsy. The results are mostly available the same day, except the biopsy which takes one week. Occasionally you have to go back for a separate appointment for the imaging.

Most people dont have anything to worry about and just cysts or similar. They will be more interested in the indentation so dont forget to point that out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now