Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chalazion surgery

(10 Posts)
brunette123 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:24:32

Anyone had it done - just wondering about your experiences - I have been referred for removal as I have a hard one on my upper eyelid. About the size of a pea. Thanks

BlackSwan Mon 16-Nov-15 21:49:08

Yes - i had it done. I was pretty worried about it going in... i just had local anaesthetic. The ophthalmic surgeon held the upper lid open and removed the chalazion...it didn't hurt, but I was very anxious! I can't stand having anyone even do my eye makeup, so you can imagine...
All went well, followed up with drops if I recall correctly. All went well and it never came back! Don't worry & good luck.

brunette123 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:06:51

thanks I am not unduly worried about the op more of how the eyelid will look afterwards - hear stories of uneven-ness and swelling months later
I watched the op on youtube so I know what to expect lol

BlackSwan Tue 17-Nov-15 20:07:09

I didn't experience that at all. It was in the days before youtube thankfully!

fuzzyfriend Tue 17-Nov-15 21:31:02

I wouldn't recommend this. But I removed one myself after watching a youtube video of the procedure. It was about the size of a petit pois.

It was inside the bottom lid and was visible and getting bigger.

I don't have any swelling, scarring or anything. It didn't reoccur and my eyes aren't uneven.

Good luck, like I say don't even entertain what I did. I'm sure you will be fine in the hands of a professional! And yes I'm an idiot.

BlackSwan Tue 17-Nov-15 21:51:32

Well hard. OMFG. I'm going to faint.

brunette123 Wed 18-Nov-15 15:32:56

omg Fuzzy! Harder to DIY on upper lid though!

Black Swan quick question please if you are still around - did you have a consultation first then go back at a later date for the procedure or did they do it all on the same day? My GP wasn't sure

thanks again

Caiprioska Wed 18-Nov-15 15:43:00

I had three removed under local anaesthetic. I had two in the right and one on the left. I was given an antibiotic cream and had to wear an eyepatch for a few hours after the procedure. You might want to take someone with you to guide - I was a little disoriented after and it was dark when I left the eye hospital.

BlackSwan Wed 18-Nov-15 21:14:50

I think I had it the same day brunette123. It took about 30 mins...

brunette123 Thu 19-Nov-15 08:27:41

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now