Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vicious sore throat - laryngitis...any tips for aiding recovery and soothing?

(11 Posts)
Kbear Mon 16-Nov-15 19:01:50

DH suffering - can't talk, can't eat, can't drink.... it's clearly agony. Doc has given him ten day course of anti-biotics today and I'm hoping they kick in soon.

OfcourseItsnotTerrysitsmine Mon 16-Nov-15 20:16:00

I feel his pain, I suffer terribly with my throat and have been in absolute agony more times than I care to remember, so much so that I couldn't even swallow my saliva. Things that helped sooth: pure honey slowly trickling down throat. Ice lollies. Even just sucking ice cubes continuously. I also had a numbing spray, can't remember the bloody name (I'll try and find it) but it helped take the edge off. And best of all, sleep. If he can. If he can get some painkillers down to help him sleep. Antibiotics will take about 3 days to kick in so it's really pain management. Get well soon wishes for DH.

laundryeverywhere Mon 16-Nov-15 20:18:53

I had this last year, felt awful.

Kbear Mon 16-Nov-15 21:02:34

I have had a throat infection before and always get ulcers and you know how painful that can be but he can't even speak, not even a whisper, he's just breathing like Darth Vader in his sleep... poor bugger. He's not one to make a fuss but you can see he is pretty poorly. Luckily shift worker so not back until Thursday and hopefully better by then.

He has numbing spray which hurts like hell apparently.

He's been asleep nearly all day and all evening so far.

And I have made the best chocolate brownies in the history of Kbear's chocolate brownies - according to DS and they will all be gone before he will get to eat one >>>> lol

Marshy Mon 16-Nov-15 23:04:10

Aw...save him a brownie.

I was advised to gargle with soluble paracodol when I had tonsilitis, then swallow it obvs and count it in with whatever painkillers he might be taking.

Hope he feels better soon.

maggiso Tue 17-Nov-15 13:09:25

Gargle with a soluble version of whichever painkiller he is taking - then swallow it instead of swallowing the tablet version. I find Difflam spray can be helpful - but that may be what he has already. Hope he is feeling better today.

Kbear Tue 17-Nov-15 21:37:21

He's been in bed all day again, got up for a few hours, then back he went. He still can't speak (I was helpfully taking the mick out of him by saying he's like Lily in Pitch Perfect... lol)..... but I think he's got more than laryngitis to be honest, he's been wiped out, like flu...

And not even Man Flu.... proper flu where I was actually worried about him lol

maggiso Wed 18-Nov-15 16:31:34

Could it be pharyingitis? I was very unwell with this a few years ago (the reason I discovered Difflam). Best just to let him rest . Hope he picks up soon, and the rest of the family stay healthy.

laundryeverywhere Wed 18-Nov-15 16:36:50

When I had laryngitis I felt awful, I could barely walk about the house. The Dr thought his gauge was wrong as it said my oxygen levels were so low, but I thought it was correct as I felt so breathless..I think I might have had Scarlet Fever as I heard it was around this area and I had a red rash all over my chest, but Dr said Steptococcal infection.

laundryeverywhere Wed 18-Nov-15 16:38:21

I didn't eat a thing for over two weeks and later loads of my hair fell out I thought maybe because of this.

ChinaSorrows Wed 18-Nov-15 17:00:33

Manuka honey.
Please. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Manuka. Raw if possible. At the moment, just eat it off the spoon. A teaspoon every few hours.

Hot water with fresh ginger and a squeeze of lemon to drink. Add honey (normal honey, not manuka) if he needs it sweetened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now