Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mid cycle ovary pain. is this a thing? or should I worry?

(17 Posts)
sassytheFIRST Mon 16-Nov-15 18:02:00

Really nasty griping pain yesterday - subsided and left with a dull ache thereafter. Still tender today. I'm pretty sure it's connected to ovulation but Sr Google naturally diagnoses ovarian cancer. I think this is extremely unlikely, btw! Anyone else get this?

eurochick Mon 16-Nov-15 18:08:54

About 10% of people can feel ovulation. I'm one. It's relatively common.

HeyMacWey Mon 16-Nov-15 18:12:22

Sounds like ovulation pain - I always had this too.

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 16-Nov-15 18:27:58

Ovulation pain. Mine only came on later in life. Now I get it every month. It's excruciating (but my mother says it's "helpful for family planning"hmm).

Psycobabble Mon 16-Nov-15 18:29:28

I always no when I ovulate I get cramping pain and bloated so if it's mid cycle if Defo say ovulation keep an eye out next month and see if it's at the same time

cathpip Mon 16-Nov-15 18:38:54

I suffer ovulation pain too, it is handy for family planning lovely smile

MissBattleaxe Mon 16-Nov-15 18:41:13

I get this too, exactly in the middle of my cycle. It's on and off for a few days then disappears til same time next month. If you're worried see a GP but if no other symptons then its just mid cycle ovary pain or "mittelschmerz" (middle pains).

kelper Mon 16-Nov-15 18:50:25

I've recently started getting this, although it's always in the same place which puzzles me as I assumed your ovaries take it in turns?
The female body is just bizarre!

rogueantimatter Mon 16-Nov-15 18:54:52

It's called mittelschmerz I think. I used to get it quite severely. The menopause does have some perks.

KanyesVest Mon 16-Nov-15 19:43:12

Yep, my ovulation pain has become as bad as, if not worse than, period pain. I get a rock hard, bloated belly, constipation, nausea and a head ache. It's been gradually getting worse since I had children but it's a lot worse in the last 18 months. It's definitely effective for family planning I'd fucking kill dh if he even looks at me side ways.

Buntingsmum Mon 16-Nov-15 19:46:04

Watching with interest. I started getting similar recently. The pain is bad for me- enough to to pass out and it is only at ovulation time. GP said to take Ibuprofen, which prevented me from passing out at least this cycle. I've had an ultrasound but it wasn't a cyst, am having blood tests, but so far no answers. It is always on the RHS, so a puzzle that it doesn't swap about like kelper says. Hope you get some answers.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Mon 16-Nov-15 19:47:36

'I get a rock hard, bloated belly, constipation, nausea and a head ache.'

These are the symptoms of endometriosis as well. I'm not suggesting you have it if course but it might be worth thinking about?

Luckystar1 Mon 16-Nov-15 19:48:26

Psycho from what I understand, and as with most things in the body, you have a dominant ovary. So one does most (or certainly more) of the ovulating.

KanyesVest Mon 16-Nov-15 20:30:00

Thanks, OrangeSquash, but I've been checked before and it turns out I just have a shitty response to my menstrual cycle!

gandalf456 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:03:18

Yes, I've always had it, too. I do wonder if it is cysts, though, as my sister has them

Lovelydiscusfish Tue 17-Nov-15 00:14:28

Oh,didn't mean to be generically negative about the family planning benefits - just that my mom hopes (in the face of all evidence) that I will use the ovulation pain to TTC another grandchild for her. In fact, Hell will freeze over before I will TTC again. But nonetheless, can definitely see that ovulation pain is useful for these purposes.

Lovelydiscusfish Tue 17-Nov-15 00:23:45

Gosh Buntingsmum, that sounds awful. I have it both sides, but one (every other month) is definitely worse than the other.
Bizarrely, I have also noticed that I've started to feel really good for the three days or so around my ovulation time (ignoring the 12 hours or so of pain). A real feeling of heightened (positive) emotions.
Was on hormonal contraception, or pregnant, for most of my adult life prior to this, so perhaps this is just how life feels?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now