Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't get in to GP... need post op wound advice.

(6 Posts)
HeadFairy Mon 16-Nov-15 12:08:13

I had a cyst on my kidney removed last monday, it was laparoscopic so not much of a wound, three little incisions. All seemed to be healing ok, I followed all advice for wound care, but one of the incisions seems to be more painful today and it's hot and hard. There's nothing oozing, it's all dry, but it is sore, so I was wondering if there's likely to be an infection inside. My mum says it's hot and hard because there's scar tissue underneath, but something doesn't feel right about it. The other wounds are completely different, not hard or hot in any way. Should I try and see the nurse practitioner for some antibiotics? I was given some post op, and I'm not usually keen on taking them unless it's absolutely necessary but my mum nearly died of sepsis earlier this year and I'm utterly paranoid now.

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Nov-15 12:14:37

I think you need to see the nurse practioner so they can take a look

mayhew Mon 16-Nov-15 12:22:13

"Hard" is not unusual."hot" is probably infection. The quicker you start antibiotics if it is, the less complicated this will be. Ring the surgery for an emergency appointment, today and say "wound infection".

Helenluvsrob Mon 16-Nov-15 12:24:21

Nurse praction or district nurse ideal for this issue. Good luck

comeagainforbigfudge Mon 16-Nov-15 12:27:35

Yes. Try to see nurse practitioner or if that not possible phone the unit/ward where you had your procedure for advice.

Failing that, do you have a minor injuries near you?

HeadFairy Mon 16-Nov-15 13:22:00

Thanks all, I have an appointment booked this afternoon.

mayhew, the other wounds aren't hard, does that make a difference? Why would one be harder than the others? My mum says it's because that was probably the wound they stuck the instruments through. I'm not sure what she's basing that on, she's not a surgeon, or even a doctor grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now