Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding the day after sex?

(23 Posts)
SparklyTinselTits Sat 14-Nov-15 18:29:03

Hi all...
I've noticed slight bleeding on two occasions, both the days following having sex with DH.
Sex is not painful, nor do I have any pain afterwards.
It's the kind of brownish looking blood that you get at the end of a period....except I don't have periods! I'm on my second contraceptive implant, and have never had a period with one in.
I had DD 7 months ago, but considering sex has not been painful since, I don't think this bleeding is related to that.
Has anyone experienced similar?? I'm freaking out because of all the horror stories out there!!

Ok first of all, don't panic. So many things can cause the kind of bleeding you describe, and many of them are easily treated. I would urge you to go to see your GP, they can work out the cause of the bleeding and hopefully reassure you.
In the meantime, I would try to track the bleeding, to work out whether it is caused by sex or not (normally post-coital bleeding occurs during or immediately after sex, so the fact that it happens the next day for you could just be coincidence.) This will also help your doctor work out what is going on. flowers

SparklyTinselTits Sun 15-Nov-15 17:33:48

Thanks Curiouser...
I'm going to try and get in to see my GP tomorrow...when I say try, I mean beg. My leg could be hanging off and they would still try to give me an appointment in 4 weeks time hmm

7Days Mon 16-Nov-15 22:08:41

Hmm. I had the same and because I have recently been treated for CIN3 was brought in for another colposcopy which showed all clear. Every professional I met was very shoulder shruggy about it. So it doesn't seem to worry the medics anyway.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 17-Nov-15 07:15:07

I went to the Dr yesterday, and was quite shruggy and said "oh well you're not old enough for a smear anyway" hmm
But I've got to go back on Friday for her to do an examination and some swabs - from what I've read on dr google that seems pretty pointless because she will be swabbing for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which I show no other symptoms of, and STI's which I clearly don't have, as the only person I've ever had sex with is my husband hmm

ThatFriskyFeline Tue 17-Nov-15 08:07:54

If your GP won't give you smear, try your local sexual health or family planning clinic. You may be too young for regular smears (too many changes in cervix when young can affect result), and the chance anything is wrong is incredibly slim, but any half decent GP would play it safe and offer you a smear when you have unexplained bleeding.

Still, one or two occasions don't tend to worry them. I recently had a three day mid cycle bleed after sex, enough to warrant tampon use. I have no history of spotting at all, so went to the GP. She recommended I keep an eye out and if it were to happen again to come back.

Nowt since, but it did prompt me to book my smear which came back all clear.

genome Tue 17-Nov-15 08:13:36

I had this and mine was caused by a small polyp on my cervix. I had it removed and no problems since. It was tested and all clear.
I would push for a smear, regardless if you are 'too young' (hmm) for a routine one, unexplained bleeding surely needs to be investigated further.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 17-Nov-15 08:50:38

I'm still bleeding today (and haven't DTD with DH since Saturday), but instead of being the brownish type of blood you get towards the end of a period, its becoming more red....so maybe my body has just decided "sod this implant, your having periods again!" ?? She also said that because of my implant, there's only a 1-2% chance that I could be pregnant, so I'm going to do a home test today just in case...I'm still going to go on Friday, but I'm really reluctant to have an internal examination. I found that the worst part of the whole childbirth experience confused Apparently my cervix is really far back, and tilts towards the sky instead of downwards, so that's why it was quite painful blush

iwillbemrsminty Tue 17-Nov-15 12:53:01

This happened to me after two years on the implant. I got put on the pill on top of implant to control the bleeding for 3 months. It worked very quickly and the bleeding stopped. Once I had finished the supply of pills it started again so I had the implant removed and went back onto the pill. Sorted! In the meantime though I had an internal and swabs taken to rule out any infection such as chlamydia etc which can cause abnormal bleeding. All clear and it confirmed it was just the implant causing havoc! Best wishes for Friday.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 17-Nov-15 12:55:56

iwill I hope that's it...but if my implant comes out then there's another dilemma! I have terrible side effects from the pill and depo! And there's no way I'm having a coil confused

iwillbemrsminty Tue 17-Nov-15 13:24:41

Oh no..... I keep hearing horror stories about the coil so don't blame you! The first type of pill I tried made me feel, well basically, like I was dying! Terrible, could barely get out of bed. So I went back to the doc and tried another, this is the one I am taking now, minus implant. Don't forget though that it might just be your periods coming back, one of my friends had no periods for about 20 months and then they just came back as they always were before the implant, regular and she's had no trouble since. smile

SparklyTinselTits Tue 17-Nov-15 15:36:12

I hope it's as simple as that smile

CoolSummer Tue 17-Nov-15 15:42:28

Cervical erosion - vvvvv common and vvvv easily sorted smile

SparklyTinselTits Tue 17-Nov-15 16:08:00

CoolSummer easily sorted how?? Since having my daughter, the thought of anyone or anything going near my cervix makes me wince confused

CoolSummer Tue 17-Nov-15 16:37:12

Just like a smear - they use silver nitrate to cauterise the cells that are in the wrong place! Very quick, in and out so to speak, have a paracetamol before and a bar of choco after and all will be good smile

CoolSummer Tue 17-Nov-15 16:38:29

And very easily diagnosable - they can tell by sight.

SparklyTinselTits Wed 18-Nov-15 06:36:53

Ew....no sign of any bleeding this morning, and had a clean pad just before bed last night. I'll go on Friday. Really don't want to! But I'll go....I don't think my doctor helps my anxiety around internal examinations. She is a very blunt, not very friendly, not what I would call approachable...not the kind of person you would really want poking around down there hmm

mummytime Wed 18-Nov-15 06:42:03

Can you change your GP? They sound a bit pants.

Also ask for a referral to a Gynaecologist.

SparklyTinselTits Wed 18-Nov-15 06:46:35

They are pants mummytime! But unfortunately I love in the middle of nowhere, and it is the only surgery within 15 miles. I've checked about registering with a different surgery, but my address doesn't come under any of their practice areas sad I've had a few nightmare appointments with them. When I found out I was PG, I went and saw the same female doctor, and she was just like "yeah you're pg. here's the number for the midwife team. Bye" hmm

mummytime Thu 19-Nov-15 06:34:42

Do you have access to a GUM clinic? Because they could be much better, and I was reading the other day about a sexually transmitted disease which is usually symptomless except sometimes this symptom.

SparklyTinselTits Thu 19-Nov-15 07:54:24

That's the thing though....it can't be an std! The only person I've ever had sex with is DH, and he's in the military, so gets regular std tests which have always been completely clear!
The bleeding has completely stopped now... I'm thinking now that it's just my periods coming back hmm and I'm worrying over nothing

mummytime Thu 19-Nov-15 10:26:17

What about this one: www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34807430/the-sti-thats-new-and-youve-probably-never-heard-of

SparklyTinselTits Thu 19-Nov-15 15:05:37

It says you're most at risk if you've had more than four sexual partners in a year....I've had one sexual partner in my whole life. After doing a bit more reading, I'm pretty convinced it's just my periods coming back. Guess I'll find out tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now