Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid levels: if you understand them please help me!

(6 Posts)
SummerMonths Thu 12-Nov-15 13:37:48

For months I have had horrid symptoms of weight loss, night sweats, palpitations, anxiety, dizziness and upset stomach. The doctor suspected thyroid problems but I've just had a call to say my tests came back normal. I wanted to check whether they are borderline normal or really big standard average.

My TSH was 1.35 which I can see online is normal.

My T4 was 11.7 which some sites suggest is high and others suggest is normal.

Does anyone know a reliable site to help interpret blood results?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 12-Nov-15 14:10:42

Never accept "normal" at all when it comes to such issues. You've got all those symptoms for a reason.

A good website and non woo to boot:-

www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

Corabell Thu 12-Nov-15 14:13:35

What are the ranges? Your tsh is "normal" but it doesn't mean you will feel well. Have you had thyroid antibodies checked?

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 12-Nov-15 15:54:30

Yes please, if we could have the ranges, that would be really helpful. They vary around the country according to the equipment that the lab uses. Just ring your surgery and ask for them. They should be a matter of public record.

Come back with the ranges and we’ll be able to tell you a bit more.

SummerMonths Thu 12-Nov-15 16:31:51

I am it sure what you mean? Did hey measure my ranges? They only gave me one number? Or do you mean the ranges they consider normal? I did ask for that but the receptionist said she did not know and the GP had just written "normal" next to each one.

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 12-Nov-15 17:06:36

Every result that comes back from the lab has a reference range, usually shown as two figures in brackets with a hyphen between them.

For example, my last thyroid results were:

TSH<0.02(0.27-4.2)
FT419.83(9-26)

It’s the reference range you need. They vary so much that it is not possible to say definitively whether or not you have a thyroid problem without them.

They may well be a matter of public record. The handbook from my local pathology lab is online. It might be worth googling.

Normal, in this context, means nothing. It’s doctorspeak for ‘your results came back within the reference range’, but that may well be a long way from optimal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now