Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Decongestant - suitable for 11 y o and me?

(7 Posts)
AnonymousBird Thu 12-Nov-15 10:31:01

DS and I are both suffering with colds and so on. I usually buy cold and flu tablets for me, but not sure they are suitable for DS (11). What is next best thing he can take - sudafed in liquid or is there anything else?

TIA

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 12-Nov-15 10:33:41

Paracetomol plus Vicks?

Can't beat Vicks/Olbas etc to unblock your nose. Most decongestants are a bit drowsy inducing so I'd avoid if he is going to school. Maybe a hot lemon with phenyl thingymmy at night for the blocked nose?

AnonymousBird Thu 12-Nov-15 11:20:38

Ah, yes, Vicks. I was never far away from the stuff as a child - amazing how you forget! Never really had much need with my children, but DS is suffering right now and as he is a bit older, figured more scope for medicines and so on.

Good point re drowsiness.

Thank you.

Seeline Thu 12-Nov-15 11:31:09

My Ds (13) finds the basic Sudafed decongestant syrup quite good. He gets bad head colds and does a lot of singing and finds it helps. He doesn't find it makes him drowsy but I have never found anything that makes him sleepy. Also a firm believer in Vick and Olbas oil though!

dementedpixie Thu 12-Nov-15 19:41:23

There are decongestant drops suitable from age 6 that you put up their nose

AnonymousBird Thu 12-Nov-15 22:23:17

Thanks all. We found a Beechams decongestant medicine with paracetamol suitable for 12 and up (DS nearly 12 and hopeless with tablets) plus Vicks stick for the nose which he seems to love so that's getting used. Now snoring nicely so at least he should have a good sleep. smile

PoptartPoptart Fri 13-Nov-15 07:12:55

Otravine nose drops are great at unblocking a stuffy nose. You can get child drops and adult drops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now