Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What to do after extraction - denture or temporary bridge?

(21 Posts)
messystressy Thu 12-Nov-15 07:28:50

I have to get a lower front tooth extracted, which I have put off for far too long as have been obsessing over implants. But has anyone had this before who can recommend temporary solution - temp bridge or denture - after extraction? I have been to two dentists - my own, plus a second opinion. My dentist said temporary bridge - the other said dentures best. Price is the same. Not sure what I am going to do at the end of the day for final solution either (hopeless case). Any experiences shared greatly appreciated!!

messystressy Thu 12-Nov-15 08:30:18

Bump

MatildaTheCat Thu 12-Nov-15 09:30:24

I had a temporary denture which was fine but did slip a bit when I was eating and had to take it out at night which made me feel ancient. I wasn't offered a temp bridge but assuming it stays put and is it costs the same I think I would go for that option. I guess if it works out well it also gives you time to save for the implant.

messystressy Thu 12-Nov-15 17:24:39

Thanks for advising Matilda. My dentist was so down on dentures "the are uncomfortable, they make you lisp etc" so am a bit worried so good to hear you got on with it. Dentist thinks it is easier than temp bridge as risk damage putting it on and taking it off constantly. So you never had it fall out while talking?

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 12-Nov-15 17:27:35

I just lived with a gap until I had my implant.

But I have no vanity.

the implant process was ghastly

messystressy Thu 12-Nov-15 17:49:15

I wish I could live with a gap, but too vain. I work in a corporate job which is incredibly snotty with clothes, god knows how I would be ostracised for missing teeth. It's right at the front.

Implants I am not sold on yet. I keep thinking that they're relatively new (30 years?) and sorry I will get cancer. Bit of a hippy, shun chemicals etc. I think I just need to read more about them to get a better comfort level.

messystressy Thu 12-Nov-15 17:49:55

* worry

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 12-Nov-15 17:52:24

Cancer???? Why?

To be fair, mine was not a front tooth but the one next to it, and the gap was small as the tooth that came out was sort of twisted sideways.

And I work from home in my mucking out gear grin

Babbafish Thu 12-Nov-15 18:03:58

God my implant is amazing ..... Drill into your jaw ... Add implant ... Done !!'
I would go for the denture as bridge can damage the other teeth !!!

messystressy Thu 12-Nov-15 23:16:35

Yeah exactly - drill titanium into jaw shudder... dentist talking about adding cow bone so it fuses. This is truly what nightmares are made of...

OK. First world problems, right? wink Am going to get the fecking old lady denture...thanks for input! smile

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 13-Nov-15 08:45:11

Cow bone! OMG. My jaw bone was apparently a bit thin so he did some sort of graft. Are you telling me it might have been cow bone. I'm a vegetarian for goodness sake.

<feels sick>

It was back and forwards so many bloody times, so much faffing in and out of the tooth thingy, trapped the inside of my lip in it one time, and then when he told me it was done, announced he had only temporarily glued it in and I had to go back and have it taken out, again, and put back in, again. No way said I. It's in now and it can bloody well stay there.

And it sounds different when I clean my teeth.

And it cost me £1800.

<cries>

messystressy Fri 13-Nov-15 10:49:40

Eek! Ok well apparently bone grafts are bovine (boak) or synthetic. You may well have gotten the synthetic. I've had two quotes for implants - first guy said £2,500 but it ended up being £3k by end of visit (no idea why, i didnt ask, just wanted to run and cry). Second quote £2k, dentist at end of the road. Poor us. Cant even blame me for poor hygeine or anything - bloody thing got whacked by my sons toy sad

icclemunchy Fri 13-Nov-15 11:06:56

I've just had almost all my top teeth out (left with 2 molars each side. I've got a denture but tbh she had such trouble getting a few of the teeth out a week on my gums are too swollen to get it in!!

I hid at home for the first 3/4 days but school runs and hospital appointments mean I've had to see people and no ones mentioned my gummy mouth yet hmm

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 13-Nov-15 11:09:30

Mine was a double root - had root canal on first root years ago, but then they discovered the second root when I got an abscess. My dentist said he wasn't qualified to do a double root treatment and suggested lots of different alternatives.

A friend's mother had several implants done all at the same time so I thought "Oh, it can't be that bad"

<hollow laugh>

I broke my jaw above my top teeth a couple of years ago (fell over putting my Dad's bottle bin out) and there is a possibility my front top teeth might die. I would probably have to go through the jeffing implant treatment again if they do.

messystressy Fri 13-Nov-15 18:21:06

You're making me seriously consider the bridge solution....

My root canals tooth is fucked. It is a hollow shell, now a nice grey colour. I find myself covering my mouth when I laugh. sad Extraction it is....the denture. Then if I go down the bridge option, I can have my denture in my vag for when the bridge falls out. Current action plan. Exists only in my head, no appointments made yet! Thanks for sharing your traumatic experiences!!

Chrisinthemorning Fri 13-Nov-15 18:27:25

What type of bridge are you thinking of long term?
If a Maryland (minimal drilling of next door tooth) go for the temporary denture.
If conventional (crown on next tooth) you could go for a temporary bridge.
If an implant- go for the denture for ease.
Please keep the denture in your Bag and not anywhere else about your person as your typo suggests lol ;)

messystressy Sat 14-Nov-15 11:21:04

What sordid spell check is that?? :D

Thinking Maryland at the moment...my gum line doesn't show at all so might be cheap fix.

MatildaTheCat Sat 14-Nov-15 12:05:41

My implant wasn't painful at all. Did have to go for several appointments and I did thoroughly interrogate the poor man about the procedure and his success rates etc. also no bone grafts so it can be quite straightforward.

I'm delighted with the result. It looks and feels just like the real thing. It is a premolar just for info.

Chrisinthemorning Sat 14-Nov-15 13:41:05

Marylands work well on lower incisors. Often the space is a bit tight for an implant anyway if only one tooth missing.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 14-Nov-15 22:37:16

Maryland bridge. I've done hundreds as "temporaries", patients have been so happy with them only a couple have had them replaced with implants.
They had a bit of a bad reputation a few years back due to technicians skimping on metal thickness which made them too flexible leading to frequent failure. If your dentist likes doing them, stands a chance they've a good success rate.
And if you like the result then you may save yourself a couple of grand!

messystressy Mon 16-Nov-15 17:24:33

Ah, sounds great! Thanks for the extra info! The dentist said that bone graft likely to be needed as it to as at the front...looks like I'm going for a temporary Maryland! Then play it by ear...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now