Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dreadful headache- what to do?

(5 Posts)
tigerdriverII Wed 11-Nov-15 22:18:07

I'm doing C25k, starting from a base of little exercise and carrying too much weight. I'm a few weeks in so getting used to the routine. Today after a few minutes jogging I had to stop completely, I had the most excruciating head pain - like a vice on both sides of my head. It went away mostly although 10 hours later I've got residual head pain, it feels as though I've been thumped on the head. I suspect it came on because I hadn't taken on many fluids before the "run". Not taken any painkillers as I wanted to keep an eye on the pain.

Posting for a bit of sympathy but also would appreciate any words of wisdom!

amarmai Thu 12-Nov-15 23:54:33

not sure jogging is the best exercise at the mo and def have to hydrate before and during any ex. maybe shd ask dr for advice re the headache.

TheTigerIsOut Thu 12-Nov-15 23:57:49

How is your blood pressure? Have you had it chcked recently?

Cel982 Thu 12-Nov-15 23:59:38

A sudden, severe exertional headache like that should be checked out by a doctor, OP. It's usually nothing serious (primary exercise headache), but in a small number of cases it can be so best to be on the safe side.

tigerdriverII Sat 14-Nov-15 19:04:06

Thanks for your replies. I went to the docs on Thursday and got thoroughly checked over. Since I'd left it 24 hours without keeling over and had no neurological problems he didn't send me to A&E but said I should go straight there if I had any funny symptoms. Scarily he thought I'd had a small bleed, and said I'd likely feel concussed for a few days, which I did but I feel a lot better now. Blood pressure normal but on the higher side of normal. He suggested I leave it a couple of weeks before doing anything strenuous. Overall I think I've been pretty fortunate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now